Bible Studies/Would Mary still have been stoned even if Joseph 'put her away privately'?

Considering that at the time it happened,Jewish betrothal was like marriage 'without the benefits', if Joseph had never received the dream from God telling him the nature of Mary's conception of Jesus, wouldn't she have still been stoned to death for being pregnant out of wedlock? Or would she have simply been ostracized,as the prostitute that washed Jesus feet with perfume was?

Whether or not Mary would have been stoned would depend on the ancient Jewish laws relating to marriage and divorce.  There, really, is no direct connection between the dream and her being stoned.  The issue is that of a miraculous birth, which tells of the character and mission of Jesus.  In the ancient world, many heroes were believed to have had miraculous births, including, I think, Hercules and Philip of Macedonia.

Bible Studies

Joel Bjorling

I can answer general questions about the Bible and offer guidance in Bible study resources.

I have education in Bible from Oral Roberts University, as well as an MA from McCormick Theological Seminary. I have written several articles on Bible study topics. I am an ordained, nondenominational minister.

Articles in journals of the Foundation for Biblical Research, Personal Freedom Outreach, and Restoration Research

BA, Oral Roberts University, Behavioral Science (included courses in the Bible and theology) MA, McCormick Theological Seminary Further study, Garrett-Evangelical Theological School Further study, Moody Bible Institute, Christian education