Bible Studies/Who is Saying What

Question
Hi Scott,

I'm currently studying the bible and memorising scripture and I was wandering if you knew of a online resource, website etc that is able to tell me for each passage or verse of scripture:

1. Who is saying it
2. Who are they saying it to
3. Where is the location of where they are
4. What is the occasion for which these are said

Just so I can completely understand the scriptures properly.

Thanks
Rob

Answer
Hi Robbie,

I commend you for your desire to study the Bible. As you study, one of the most important factors for understanding what you're reading is the context. Knowing who is speaking, to whom he is speaking, the location, cultural context, and the reason ... these are among the first clues in determining the context. It's the approach taken by a good journalist--understanding the Who, Where, When, Why, and How of the story.

Most of the clues are right there in the passage. For example, when reading a New Testament letter, such as Romans, Galatians, or Ephesians, the human author announces his identity, as well as that of his immediate audience, in the first few verses of the book. Reading a bit further reveals the occasion or specific reason for the text.

When reading a specific verse, you can gain a better understanding by reading the surrounding verses, the paragraph of thought. To gain insight into that paragraph, read the surrounding chapters, or the entire book. For the larger context, understand where the book falls into the context of God's plan, such as whether it's an Old Testament book written specifically to the nation of Israel under the Mosaic Law, or a New Testament book written to present-day believers under the dispensation of Grace.

Understand the nature of the book. Is it a part of the Mosaic Law (first five books of the Old Testament), history, poetry, prophets, gospels, epistles, or end-time prophecy (such as Revelation).

There are many tools and resources that can help you to further explore the larger picture. Commentaries, Bible Dictionaries, Bible Encyclopedias, and even Concordances can help with this.

One online tool that I have found to be helpful is www.crosswalk.com. Look around that web site, and you will find some very helpful tools.

Scott

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot