Bible Studies/Lamentations

Question
Hi teacher Scott, I am still in Lamentations. I got most of it up until ch 4.

In vs 1, I don't understand how the stones are scattered? I don't remember reading about any stones.

In vs 2. I thought Jerusalem the daughter of Zion?
Who is the Son of Zion?

vs 5.  Sounds to me like the captives were let go.?

in vs 10. The hands of the compassionate women boiled there own children. It doesn't sound very compassionate to me.

vs. 11. Is the fire Literal of figurative?

vs 21. Who is the daughter of Edom? Last I knew the chapter was talking about the daughter of Zion and now it mentions the daughter of Edom? And is the land of Uz the same as Jerusalem?

Answer
Hi Joyce,

Let's take a look at your questions:

The word, "stones," refers to fine gems. While once treasured, they have been thrown into the street like garbage. This is an analogy for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, who had lost their glory and were living in shame and misery.

Who is the Son of Zion?

The "sons of Zion" are the inhabitants of Jerusalem. In the Ancient Near East, "son" was used to describe not only physical offspring, but relationship or characterization. James and John were called "the sons of thunder," and Judas was called "the son of perdition."

No. This verse describes those wealthy citizens who once enjoyed fine food and clothing but were now lying destitute in the streets.

This illustrates the extreme conditions in which these Israelites were living. There was no food, and some went so far as to kill and eat their own children.

It appears to be figurative--a description of God's intense wrath.

Edom was one of the nations that aided in the downfall of Jerusalem. They rejoiced over Israel's fall, but God was warning them that judgment would soon come upon them.

Uz is not Jerusalem. It happened to be the land in which Job lived. (See Job 1:1.) It isn't certain where Uz was located, but it was likely outside of Palestine.

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot