Bible Studies/The Temple Sea

My question is in reference to 1 Kings 7:23-7:25 and 1 Kings 7:39 -7:44.

1Ki 7:23
And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.
1Ki 7:24
And under the brim of it round about there were knops compassing it, ten in a cubit, compassing the sea round about: the knops were cast in two rows, when it was cast.
1Ki 7:25
It stood upon twelve oxen, three looking toward the north, and three looking toward the west, and three looking toward the south, and three looking toward the east: and the sea was set above upon them, and all their hinder parts were inward.
What is the significance of the molten sea? Why did Solomon and the Temple architects feel a need to expend a enormous amount of energy and man power building a working model of the sea. To construct a basin of brass this size with twelve brass oxen must have cost tons of charcoal to smelt the brass into the needed forms. Why was the 'Sea' place on the Temple platform? It must have meant something to the early Israelites. This is a real puzzle for me; can you help?
Vince Graham

Hi Vince,

This section of I Kings is really interesting and describes Solomon's building of his magnificent house, the glorious temple, and other structures. I would be happy to comment, but I would rather direct you to, where you can look up the passage and find a wealth of information on this and surrounding passages.

Keep studying. Good stuff! If you have additional questions, feel free to write back.  

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot

I have studied the Bible and Bible-related topics since the time I was very young. My education includes a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Bible, and a Master of Divinity degree. I enjoy delving into deep theological issues and always enjoy a healthy debate. But more importantly, I like working with people and helping them to find the answers that they are looking for. And I am convinced that these answers are available in the Bible.

By the grace and mercy of God, I have been saved, born again, adopted into the family of God. God has given me a love for the Bible, and for Bible-related subjects. In addition, He has blessed me with ongoing training in the Scriptures, from my youth on up. The more I learn about God through His Word, the more I want to share!

Campus Crusade for Christ, Grace Church at Willow Valley

Pillsbury Baptist Bible College - B.S. Bible & Pastorology; Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary - M.Div.