Bible Studies/conflicting bible verses

QUESTION: Hello and thank you for taking my questions - I am quite impressed with your credentials and am sure you will give me a good answer. It states in Hebrews 7:25 "Therefore He is able also to save to the uttermost those who come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them." and yet at the same time it states in John 16:26 "At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:John 16:27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God."

So what I dont understand is that I always thought that, after reading ephesians, God wouldnt hear our prayers unless they went through Jesus first with Jesus being our sacrifice and all. I thought he only heard our prayers because JESUS was asking for us not that God wanted himself to answer our prayers. So could you please compare/contrast these two verses for me. Thank you

ANSWER:   There is no conflict here.  In Hebrews, the writer is comparing the intercession of Christ with the intercession of the high priests of the old testament.  This letter is for the benefit of the Jewish believers (as well as for our benefit) and the writer uses the comparison that would be familiar to them.  Christ intercedes for us just as the priests like Melchizedek would have interceded.

In John 16, Jesus is clarifying for His disciples what it means to ask in His name (verses 23 and 24).  If we ask in the name of Jesus and in a way that honors Him, God will answer.  However, God also listens to us directly and will respond because He loves us (verse 27), if we believe that Jesus came from God and now sits at God's right hand and intercedes for us (Romans 8:34).

I am not sure which passage in Ephesians you mean.  However, it is important to remember that Jesus is God - He said that He and God are the same (John 10:30).  Jesus came to earth in the form of a man but is still God (John 1:1, 14).

QUESTION: So to clarify - Jesus intercedes for our sins like an old testament priest, but as a result of this we are able to pray to God directly. Should we pray to God the father directly or to Jesus who intercedes on our behalf or does it not matter

Yes, Jesus - as God the Son - intercedes on our behalf with God the Father.  Because God the Son and God the Father are One, our prayers are heard by both.  In the example of how to pray, Jesus taught us to pray to God the Father (see Matthew 6:7-13).  Therefore, I believe we should follow this example that Jesus gave us.

Bible Studies

Roy Wallen

Using the Bible as my primary source and references in support of it, I am willing to answer questions on subjects from the Old and New Testaments. My faith is based on biblical Christianity and fundamental views from the Bible. I cannot answer questions about specific sects or religious organizations nor can I address religions outside biblical Christianity. As a Christian for over 40 years, I have studied many aspects of the Christian faith. My particular interests are in creation and the natural processes of the world around us and how they fit with the biblical record. I believe that all Scripture is inspired by God. I believe that there are no contradictions in the Bible and that the Bible is complete in telling us as individuals how we should relate to God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit; our purpose on earth; and how we should live. Greek lauguage study has helped me gain additional insight into the New Testament but most of my reference work is done in English and, to a lesser degree, German.

Personal Bible study over the years, lessons delivered in Sunday School settings and messages during organized services, and leading Bible study series have prepared me to be comfortable addressing questions from others.

See for professional background information.

Formal study includes Greek language. I am a layman without a theological degree. Training has come from sitting under the ministry of excellent Bible teachers for my entire adult life, personal study, and selected courses. Secular educational background includes an undergraduate engineering degree, graduate work in engineering and business, and advanced courses in business and theology.