Bible Studies/biblical question

QUESTION: how many times  did  jesus  Christ pray  daily?

ANSWER: Dear Eddy,

The Bible doesn't say anything about how many times a day Jesus prayed. The Bible mentions many times that He prayed, and often that He prayed far into the night. His mission was different than ours, in that He was the Savior of the world. However, He made it plain that we were to follow His example.

On the night He fed the 5000, He sent His disciples away in their boat, and then went onto a hill to pray. The story says that "in the fourth watch" He walked on the water to go to them. The fourth watch would have been very nearly dawn. (Matt. 14:21-33)

But let me hasten to add, that Jesus wants us to pray often. It was one of His more frequent topics. For example, He told us to ask things of Him, and He would answer. John 14:13, 14: "And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it." He made that statement on several occasions.

Again, He said: Matt. 7:9-11: "Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"

Paul counseled that we should pray "without ceasing" (1 Thess. 5:17). And a Christian author pointed out that we should always be in an attitude of prayer. That doesn't mean that we should always be on our knees. It means that in whatever activities we find ourselves, that we can pray--silently--without having to think about it. We shouldn't need to change our minds and come out of thoughts that are not conducive to prayer.

I suggest you get the little book "Steps to Christ." It has a whole chapter on prayer. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll send you a copy. (Try

I think the most important thing about prayer is that it's a conversation between you and God. You can talk to Him anytime, anywhere, by merely thinking your prayer. God can read your mind, and knows that you're praying to Him. I find that, in whatever I do or say, I can always think a prayer to God, and know that He understands my circumstances. He's always ready to answer and to help.

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.

QUESTION: how does  the  bible  say  to  choose  a career?

Dear Eddy,

There were few "careers" in Bible times.

If you were a Levite, you might be called upon to work at the Temple

If you were a warrior, you served in the king's army.

If you were a scribe (a self-choice) you go to scribal school, and then hope you'll find a position afterward. Most scribes found "jobs."

If you were called into the king's service, you served where you were appointed.

If you were called by Jesus, the Holy Spirit told you what to do and where to go.

There were a few other careers, such as merchant, artist, craftsmen, but most people were farmers.

Perhaps you'd find some help in ancient history.

The important thing to remember: few people got to choose their profession. Most people either did what their fathers did, or, as above, served the country in some other way.

I would suggest that you lay it before the Lord in prayer, study the Bible, and wait for God to give you some indication what He wants you to do. The most important thing is to do what is at hand to the best of your ability. If you prove faithful in that, you can expect that God will give you greater work. (Luke 16:10)

Bible Studies

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.

I`ve been a Pastor and Bible teacher for 40 years.

I`m a writer--author of 18 Bible-based books and over 200 journal articles. Web site: where a lot of my books and writings are posted. I've been married to the same lovely lady for 55 years. We're more in love now than when we married. My wife and I were missionaries to Pitcairn Island, in the South Pacific, from 1982-1984.

I've been a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church since the age of 9.

Books: Pacific Press Publishing Association; PettyPress. Number of titles published: 16. Journal Articles: Adventist Review; Signs of the Times; Guide Magazine; Ministry: A Journal for Clergy; Sabbath School Leadership; The Youth's Instructor; Student Movement; Cord, and others. Total Journal articles: over 200. Web Site: Contents: 18 of my books; 41 Bible study guides; over 30 sermons; Stories; poems; links to other sites, etc. E-mail address:

I have a BA and a Master`s degree--both degrees are in Biblical studies.

I was awarded the "Golden Cord" from my Alma Mater, Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska, for my foreign mission service.