Bible Studies/Circumcision

Hi Priscilla,
Why Christianity NOR Catholicism do promote compulsory circumcision, if in Genesis 17 it is mentioned that circumcision is a sign of the covenant with God?
Thank you,

Thanks for writing again, Leonardo.  You have good questions.  
   It would be helpful to read Romans 2, especially the last part.  I think it helps to understand history as an unfolding of Godís revelation of Himself to humans.  In the Old Testament, God uses the nation of Israel as a physical picture to teach us, much like childrenís books usually have more pictures than adult books.  So the physical act of circumcision is a physical sign for the physical nation of Israel in the physical land of promise.  The physical part of Godís world is important, but the spiritual is even more important.  In other words, obedience in children is taught from the outside, but for a child to mature, that obedience to what is right, needs to be chosen and followed from the heart.  God has a new covenant with humans, requiring more than outward obedience (which was never completely possible anyway).  That perfection of actions and attitudes can only be had by surrendering ones life to God to receive the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
   Galatians 2:20 ďI am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, Who loved me, and gave Himself for me.Ē
   To be a true Christian, you canít promote any COMPULSORY behavior, because you have to acknowledge that nothing you do can save you Eph. 2:8-9.  You have to die to your self efforts and allow the life of Jesus in you, guide you, and give Him credit for any good actions.   
   Does this make sense to you?  Trust God for personal direction more than anything I can say.  Keep reading and studying the Bible.  Even with a lot we may not understand, there is plenty there to sustain us in His light.
   Mrs. Lyons

Bible Studies

Mrs. Priscilla Lyons

I have time for you. The Bible has been my guiding light for most of the 56 years of my life. My missionary parents in Brazil kindled a love for God`s Word by their example and their love for truth. The Lord has blessed my husband and me with responsible, independent children who love and serve the Lord and are our best friends. I would enjoy discussing any subject or problem from a Biblical perspective.