Bible Studies/Christmas Celebration.

Question
Dear Rev Brian

Christmas Day is celebrated for the birth of Lord Jesus Christ.

Will you be against lighting Fire crackers on the Christmas Day as part of Christmas celebrations which Hindus celebrate during Diwali festival?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant

This question is actually not one of Biblical Studies!  However, I will respond anyway, and hope that my answer is helpful.

First of all, it is generally accepted, for a number of reasons, that the Lord Jesus was not born on December 25th.  However, whenever we may wish to celebrate the Incarnation, I would not see the necessity for setting off firecrackers as a part of that celebration.

Surely we should celebrate the coming of the Creator of all that is, in the very human flesh that He had created, from the glory of heaven, to a sin-filled humanity, with praise and worship that comes from our hearts, and not from noise that comes from a man-made device!  Gifts to others, at that time, are not unseemly as, although it was up to two years before the Magi arrived with their gifts for the Infant King, the shepherds brought their own gifts of obedience and devotion.

If a Christian celebrates Christmas in the same way as a Hindu celebrates Diwali, that gives the underlying message that one is as important as the other.  This I would strongly dispute.

Blessings, and shalom.

Bible Studies

Rev C.Brian Ross