Bible Studies/# of ancient N.T. manuscripts

Question
Hello - I am very confused. For years I went by Josh McDowell's "Evidence that demands a verdict," which states we have 100,000 manuscripts of the N.T. dating from the first century. When I looked on the internet it stated we have at best only one fragment dating from the first century and the following early centuries have only small amounts of manuscripts. Could you tell me what the real numbers actually are. Thank you.

Pete

Answer
Hello Pete

Thank you for an unusual question that doesn't really lie within my area of "expertise"!  However, for what it is worth, I will share my own thoughts!

First of all, do not forget that the internet is open to anyone with a computer and a link.  This means that I can post anything I like (as I do with my own blog - details below!), and can even do so anonymously.  So, given a choice between Josh McDowall and an article on the internet, I would have no hesitation in going with the brother Josh!  Indeed, I have both "Evidence that demands a verdict" and "More evidence that demands a verdict" on my bookshelves!  Indeed, I have just checked, and I am unable to find where he claims that there are "100,000 manuscripts of the N.T. dating from the first century."  Perhaps you would be so kind as to direct me to that quotation.

So, what can I say to support Josh?  The first thing is that this is an area that is continually being updated so, even if your internet article was accurate when it was written (which, of course, may have been a long time before it was published online!) it may be well out of date.  For example, there is the Magdalen Fragments (so-called because they are kept in Magdalen College of the University of Oxford) are portions of the Gospel according to Matthew.  They shot to public fame as recently as 1994, when The Times newspaper reported that Carsten Peter Thiede, a paleographer (expert in handwriting) had re-dated the fragments to the first century, providing ‘the first material evidence that the Gospel according to St Matthew is an eyewitness account written by contemporaries of Christ’. If Thiede was correct, they would be the oldest surviving text of the New Testament and pieces of a codex. Thiede’s claim, elaborated upon in 1995 in a scholarly article and a best-selling book, has prompted much discussion - even if it has not been widely accepted by the academic community.  

I am certainly not in a position to give an accurate number - and I doubt if there is anyone who is!  The important thing is that, compared to other ancient documents, the New Testament is, using all of the accepted tests, the most trustworthy of all. The notes that I carry in one of my copies of the Bible refer to more that 13,000 - although I have a vague thought in the back of my mind that the figure is now closer to 19,000 copies and fragments.

I hope that I have not merely "muddied the waters" for you.  Do check McDowall again, as I suspect that you may have misread something!

Blessings, and shalom.

Bible Studies

Rev C.Brian Ross