Bible Studies/Death

Question
Do we have an appointed time of death according to scriptures? Meaning basically is our death and number of days on earth predetermined?

Answer
Hi, Danne,
Thank you for your Bible question, which I'll be glad to answer below.

You asked: Do we have an appointed time of death according to scriptures? Meaning basically is our death and number of days on earth predetermined?

My answer: Yes, according to the Bible, Yahweh God Almighty does number our days and appoint our time of death, as the following Scriptures show:

"Seeing his days are determined,
the number of his months is with you,
and you have appointed his bounds that he can't pass;" (Job 14:5, WEB)

"Your eyes saw my body.
In your book they were all written,
the days that were ordained for me,
when as yet there were none of them." (Psalm 139:16)

While King David in the above psalm noted how God preordained his days prior to his birth, that's not always the case; it's not absolutely every time that God predetermines our individual lifespan while we are still being formed in the womb. There were incidents in the Bible where He decided, at any given moment, to have a person live or die. For example:

a) In around his fourteenth year of reign, King Hezekiah was told by Yahweh through His prophet Isaiah that he was about to die due to his illness. But when Hezekiah wept bitterly upon hearing the news, Yahweh extended his life, giving him another fifteen years to live (2 Kings 20). Initially, Yahweh decided to let Hezekiah's fatal illness take its natural course. But He mercifully granted Hezekiah more years and healed his illness when the king prayed to Him. Hence, we can't say that when Yahweh predetermines something that He won't change it. He often interacts with His people and blesses or curses them according to their conduct or petitions. Still, Hezekiah's account illustrates the fact that our life is in God's hands--He determines when we will die. This holds true for every person. Even the death of every sparrow is in accordance with God's will! (Matthew 10:29)

b) Moses and his elder brother Aaron were looking forward to entering the Promised Land (the land of Canaan) after Israel's forty-year wandering in the wilderness. However, after they sinned against God, God forbade them to enter the Promised Land and made them die "pre-maturely" at ages 120 and 123, respectively. If they had not sinned, Moses and Aaron would have lived past 120 and 123 and enjoyed life in the Promised Land. They forfeited God's blessing by their sin. (Numbers 20; Deuteronomy 34)

I hope I've fully answered your question. If you have any other question or would like me to clarify anything, please don't hesitate to ask and I'd be more than happy to do my best to answer it.

Thank you again for your Bible question.

Shirley
Study the Entire Bible for Free via E-mail - www.Ultra-Ability.com Ministry

Bible Studies

Dr. Shirley Cheng