Bible Studies/care of the tabernacle

Question
Hello and thank you for taking my question. I would like to know that given only the high priest  was allowed to enter the holy of holies once a year - how did they dismantle and transport it during their time in the desert?   Thank you

Answer
When the tabernacle was built, it was built with the walls and coverings first and the most holy place and the other elements were placed within it (Exodus 40).  When the tabernacle was finished, Aaron and the other priests were consecrated to service.  It was then that the glory of God entered the tabernacle and the people could not enter.  As long as the presence of God was there, the people could not enter.  When the presence of God was lifted, they could move on with their travels (Exodus 40:36).  They followed the example of Moses as God instructed him in dismantling and setting up the tabernacle.

When the Israelites were traveling, this was a large group with lots of tents and belongings. The tabernacle would have been one of the dwellings that needed to be set up as part of the camp.  The Levites were responsible for the tabernacle and they followed this process of staying in place when the cloud was over the tabernacle and moving when the cloud was lifted (see Numbers 9:15-23).

Bible Studies

Roy Wallen