Bible Studies/deuteronomy 12;17-18

Question
I found this passage in deuteronomy 12: 17-19 "You may not eat within your towns kthe tithe of your grain or of your wine or of your oil, or the firstborn of your herd or of your flock, or any of your vow offerings that you vow, or your freewill offerings or the contribution that you present, 18 but myou shall eat them before the Lord your God in jthe place that the Lord your God will choose, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, and the Levite who is within your towns. And nyou shall rejoice before the Lord your God in all that you undertake." I would just like to know If I am correct in my interpretation of it. I think it means that instead of having to offer their meat that they are going to eat as a peace offering in front of the tabernacle they can now sacrifice it elsewhere. Most importantly i believe it to mean that they are to rejoice in the lord in everything they do as a prelude to Jesus saying the day will come when you will worship not in temples but in spirit and in truth. Is this a picture of GOd gradually revealing himself by allowing them to kill their meat with joy and not necessarily at the entrance to the tabernacle?

THank you

Answer
A rather common interpretation of Deut 12 is that the chapter is composed of three parcels concerning the centralizing of divine worship.  Verses 13-19 is the final [but earliest]form to allow each tribe to choose a place for the name of God to dwell. The passage seems to assume tacitly that slaughtering an animal is permitted for secular use with the restriction about the use of blood.
So, I am hesitant to see a foreshadowing of Jesus.  However, in the Old Testament, rejoicing or enjoyi8ng the service/worship of God is a well-known aspect of worship, particularly in the Psalms.
The New Testament phrase can be summarized: Rejoice, again I say rejoice -- to use Paul.

So, I would think that your interpretation could fit generally within the progress of revelation.

Nice to receive your latest thoughts.  Best wishes, Peter.

Please write again if you wish further from me on the passage.

Bible Studies

Edward Bode