Bible Studies/Early Christian History

Dear Elisabeth

In the Holy Bible - Matthew - 5:43, Love your enemies, Forgive your enemies I have the following questions.

1 In the 21st century, is it possible to achieve the above?.

2 Will the enemy think in the same line,as we think?.

Please remember why the NT was even written..... to standardize Christianity.  There was no NT before the 300's. The Council of Nicaea, was called by Constantine to end the squabbling of sects that each claimed to be the inheritors of the little Jesus Movement of the first century. There were 200 bishops, and it lasted 2 years.  Their job was to choose scripture that would exemplify what Christianity would be going forward.  Of 40 or so gospels, 4 were chosen.  Anything not included was ordered destroyed, (but of course, it was not all destroyed.  You can still read on like the gospels of Judas, Mary, the Infancy Gospel, the Gospel of Thomas, etc., etc.)    You can google some "Lost Christianities"....Ebionites, Marcionites, Gnostics, Nazarines, and as well, even read a book that discusses how they were alike and very different.... try, "Lost Christianities" by Bart Ehrman, Ph. D., and author of over 20 books in Early Christian History.

"Love your enemies".... hummmmmm.  Can we achieve this on this planet?  No, not ever.  There are always nations and people, who are not lovable...try Russia right now, or North Korea.  The Middle East is no joyful place either.

Take the bible for what it really is.... the OT is the history, more or less, of a group of bronze age goat herders.  All their myths, legends, stories, all told around fires, after dinner, and exaggerated as the generations went by...rather like the children's game of telephone.... what was said in the beginning, really wasn't all that accurate at the end.

The New Testament was simply a standardization of all the the things Christianity had become over the 3 centuries of its history.

If we are kind to our enemies, will they be kinds to us?  Do you see ISIL loving anything at all about Americans, or any Western world country?

Not hardly.

Maybe Teddy Roosevelt said it best...."Speak softly, but carry a big stick."

Bible Studies

Elisabeth DeWald

My major in college was History, and I minored in biology, zoology, math, and chemistry. Most of my life I have been on one side of a desk or the other. My specialty is New Testament, in particular, The Gospels.

When I lived in Chicago, I was able to audit classes in Religious Studies, at the University of Chicago's Divinity School. The Academics were in Bible History, Early Christian History, Comparative Religion. I could not enroll..... I had no BS at the time. But all the men teaching there were friend of my then husband, who had just finished all of his Ph. D work, and they at the Divinity School liked him so much that they hired him. I was always interested in why people believe as they do, so these friends---- professors and colleagues of my husband--- invited me to join their classes. I did all the work, turned in all the papers, attended all lectures, and learned lots of things all trained theologians learned. The course work was NOT devotional.... it was Historical/Critical, where one wishes to find out, "where did this story come from?" and "why was this or that important?". In the devotional style of biblical study, one searches for comforting phrases. That is never stressed at any Divinity School beyond any BA or BS. This is how Princeton's Divinity School works, how Harvard's Divinity School work...all of them. If one wishes the devotional approach, one goes to the Moody Bible Institute.

I have a BA, and an MA