Bible Studies/Love your enemies psalm.

Dear Jim

In the Holy Bible - Matthew - 5:43, Love your enemies, Forgive your enemies I have the following questions.

1 In the 21st century, is it possible to achieve the above?.

2 Will the enemy think in the same line,as we think?.

This is not so much a question for a Bible expert as it is for a pastor.  To answer the second question first, there is no guarantee that the other person will practice -- or attempt to practice -- the same.  That is not the point.  Jesus calls upon his followers to love and forgive their enemies, whether or not the enemies are "worthy" of our love, or are willing to reciprocate.  Is it possible to achieve this?  Probably not on our own.  This type of love is requires dependence on the strength which God gives us through the Holy Spirit.  And it is as difficult -- and as easy -- in the 21st century as in any other century.  I hope this is helpful,
Jim Miller

Bible Studies

Jim Miller

Biblical Studies -- including Ancient Near East, Intertestamental Literature and early Christian literature.