Bible Studies/Love your enemies psalm.

Question
Dear Thurman

In the Holy Bible, Matthew 5:43,Love your enemies, I have the following questions.

1 Is it not difficult to achieve the above in the 21st century?.

2 Will the enemy think as we think?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Dear Prashant,
It is never easy to love your enemy. In fact, living the true Christian life requires becoming like Christ, and that’s impossible unless we surrender our will to His will.

We’ll understand the extent of the love Christ wants us to have for our enemies, when we read the context of this verse:

Mat 5:42  Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.
Mat 5:43  "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
Mat 5:44  But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
Mat 5:45  that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mat 5:46  For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?
Mat 5:47  And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?
Mat 5:48  Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

You’ll notice that God loves His enemies so much that He treats them in the same way as He does His friends.  “He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.”

If we truly love our enemies, we’ll treat them as though they were our friends. Of course, they will not think as we do, and won’t feel inclined to return the favor.

But Jesus says, verse 48, that to love your enemy will make you “perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.”

According to this passage, perfection is not necessarily the absence of sin, but the attitude of love toward our neighbors—and our enemies.

Thurman Petty

Bible Studies

Thurman C. Petty, Jr.