Bible Studies/Love your enemies psalm.

Dear Rev C.Brian

In the Holy Bible - Matthew - 5:43, Love your enemies, Forgive your enemies I have the following questions.

1 In the 21st century, is it possible to achieve the above?.

2 Will the enemy think in the same line,as we think?.

Hello Prashant

Thank you for your questions.  The subject is, I have to say, too large to be treated adequately through a forum such as this, but I will endeavour to provide you with some guidelines, and direction, so that you may further research the topic on your own.

Permit me to start with a true story.  Eight times the East German Ministry of Education said "No" to each of Uwe Holmer's eight children when they tried to enrol at the university in East Berlin. The Ministry of Education wasn't in the habit of giving reasons for why an applicant was rejected. But in this case the reason was not hard to guess. Uwe Holmer was a Lutheran pastor.

For 26 years the Ministry of Education was headed by Margot Honecker, the wife of East Germany's premier, Erich Honecker.  However, when the Berlin wall cracked Honecker and his wife were dismissed from office. He was under indictment for criminal activities including the shooting of people trying to escape from East Germany.

In the January following the collapse of the wall the Honeckers were evicted from their luxurious palace. They suddenly found themselves friendless, without resources, and with no place to go. All of their former cronies refused to lend them a hand. No one wanted to be identified with the Honeckers.

Enter Rev. Uwe Holmer. Remembering these words of Christ, the pastor invited the Honeckers to stay with his family in his home!

There are countless other examples of people who have taken these words as literally as they were intended to be taken.  Jesus goes on to explain why He gives this command.  In v.45 we read, "... that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."   Jesus moved in a culture in which sons were supposed to be like their father, trained by them to continue the family business and to implement their fatherís wishes. Here He is primarily addressing a group of male disciples and telling them that, if they were to be like their Heavenly Father, they would need to love their enemies.

"Will the 'enemy' think in the same way?"  Probably not!  But, as Jesus has pointed out, Father God does not limit His goodness to those who love Him!  He continues: "... if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

This is one of the reasons why the full Christian message is rejected by so many!  We do not wish to "turn the other cheek".  We want our revenge!  We forget Rom.12:14ff (see also Heb.10:30).

I trust that the above will have provided you with some food for thought, but please feel free to come back with any supplementary question!

Kind regards.

Bible Studies

Rev C.Brian Ross

I am happy to offer answers to anyone with a question that refers to the Christian Faith in its widest possible sense. I believe that the Bible is the living Word of God, and seek to base all of my life on its teaching. I also have some knowledge of some of the cults, and of Islam and Judaism. Of course, my answers are just one man's thoughts, and I would always advise a questioner to check with others, and with the Word of God.

Served as a full-time parish minister in Scotland for about six years, and then spent the last thirty as a teacher (now 'retired') of Religious Education in Secondary Comprehensive schools (ages 11-17) while continuing my own preaching and teaching ministry. I have spent three years as a voluntary Chaplain with Strathclyde Police Force. I also believe that learning is a life-time process, and have recently completed a Master's degree in Divinity. I now spend most of my time in France, ministering mainly to English-speaking groups.

Former Presenter on Revival FM - a local Christian, community radio station, broadcasting in west central Scotland, and online at Involved with a number of organisations that support Christians who are currently suffering persecution in some 70 countries around the world. Until the formation of the new Police Scotland Force, I was a Chaplain with Strathclyde Police Force, deployed within 'Q' and 'N' Divisions, and also responsible for the Force Training and Recruitment Centre.

Various articles in Christian magazines. I also maintain a blog - My first book, Great Words of the Faith, is available as a Kindle e-book at My second book, Foundations of the Faith, is available as a Kindle e-book at*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Diploma of The Bible Training Institute, Glasgow; Licentiate in Theology of the University of Glasgow; Associateship of The Philosophical Society of England; Bachelor of Arts Degree (Hons) in History from The Open University; Post-grad Certificate of Education - Religious Education and History; Post-grad Certificate in Learning and Teaching; Post-grad Diploma in Management and Learning in Education; Master of Science Degree from the University of Strathclyde; Master of Divinity Degree (with Distinction) from Trinity College and Seminary (accredited by the University of Liverpool)