Bible Studies/Love your enemies psalm.

Dear Dr Shirley

In the Holy Bible - Matthew - 5:43, Love your enemies, Forgive your enemies I have the following questions.

1 In the 21st century, is it possible to achieve the above?.

2 Will the enemy think in the same line,as we think?.

Hi, Prashant,
Thank you for submitting your Bible questions. I'm more than happy to answer them below.

Before I answer your questions, however, I'd like to preface my answers by making note of two important facts that we must know:
1) The commandment to love your enemy is an ordinance that God gave His people long before Jesus came to Earth. Contrary to popular belief, Jesus was not the first who commanded people to love their enemies--the first One is Yahweh God Almighty. In The Mosaic covenant, given to His people about 1448 years before Jesus was born on Earth, Yahweh instructed Israel, "If you meet your enemy’s ox or his donkey going astray, you shall surely bring it back to him again. If you see the donkey of him who hates you fallen down under his burden, don't leave him, you shall surely help him with it." (Exodus 23:4-5, WEB) Then about five centuries later, King Solomon wrote this under divine inspiration: "If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat. If he is thirsty, give him water to drink: for you will heap coals of fire on his head, and Yahweh will reward you." (Proverbs 25:21-22) Simply put, the way we love our enemies is to help them when they are in need. In doing so, God will be pleased by our good deed and may judge our enemies for their ill treatment of us. We should leave all vengeance to Him.

2) "Our enemies" is not the same as "God's enemies." There is a big difference between the two groups. We are to love our enemies, but we are never instructed to love God's enemies. Unfortunately, many people equate the two. We are not to love God's enemies unless they turn to God. For instance, God ordered His people to either drive out or annihilate the Canaanites because the Canaanites were extremely wicked people. Yet, when one Canaanite prostitute Rahab demonstrated faith in Yahweh, her life was spared. But when Israel showed mercy to other Canaanites by sparing their lives, it became a great sin to them for which God was immensely displeased. However, we only know who are God's enemies when God identifies them to us. For this reason, it is safe for us to show love to everyone, even to those who persecute us. Generally, our enemies are those who have wronged us in some way; they may be members of our family or co-workers.

Now, here are my answers to your questions:

You asked: In the Holy Bible - Matthew - 5:43, Love your enemies, Forgive your enemies I have the following questions. 1 In the 21st century, is it possible to achieve the above?.

My answer: All of God's principles are timeless, for His Word is eternal (1 Peter 1:25). For this reason, so long as we obey the love commandment (to love others including your enemies), it is certainly achievable. We can achieve anything through the power of Christ (Philippians 4:13).

You asked: 2 Will the enemy think in the same line,as we think?.

My answer: It is unlikely that our enemies will think in the same line if they are not fellow Christians. In actuality, our enemies may be puzzled by our love for them. Some may even take advantage of our kindness. Yet, there may be some who will be deeply touched and consequently become believers because they are attracted to God by our love which reflects God's love. When we do good, we glorify God and bring others to Him. Regardless of how our enemies will react to our love, we are instructed to repay evil with good. We do so by helping our enemies when they are in need and praying for them where we ask God to soften their hearts so they can yield to Him and accept Him as their God.

Yahweh's love for us sets an example for us on how we should love our enemies. When we were still His enemies in our sins, He let His Son die for us to pay the penalty for our sins (Romans 5:10). He allows anyone to receive eternal life. Anyone who repents and accepts Jesus as their Savior will be saved from the penalty of their sins: eternal death. It's God's goodness that compels many of us to repent (Romans 2:4). In like manner, when we do good to our enemies, our goodness may attract them and cause them to feel shame and thereby to repent of their sins.

I hope I've fully answered your questions. Please let me know if you have any other question or if you'd like me to clarify anything, and I'd be glad to do so.

Thank you for your questions. Keep up with your diligent Bible study!

Thank you,
Shirley Ministry - Learn the Entire Bible in Depth via E-mail for Free

Bible Studies

Dr. Shirley Cheng

I will be more than glad to answer questions in regards to a) passages in the Torah, also known as the Pentateuch, which is comprised of the first five "books" of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy; b) passages in the historical books of Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, and 2 Samuel; and c) basic Biblical doctrines, precepts, and principles. When you ask about a specific passage, please indicate the chapter and verse(s) wherever possible. Before you ask a question about a Biblical doctrine, principle, or precept, please first check to see if your question is already answered. If you're interested in an in-depth Bible study of the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation, you are more than welcome to sign up for my e-mail virtual class at

I am the founder of Ministry and a Bible teacher who is teaching the Bible in depth from Genesis to Revelation. I have read fourteen different versions of the Bible, written a book on Christianity titled "Do You Love Jehovah? God Almighty's Infinite Love & Wisdom to Propel You to Greatness," and have personally experienced the power, love, and protection of my Heavenly Father throughout my life. Being a blind and physically disabled individual who is passionately in love with life, I am a living example of what faith in Yahweh God Almighty can do for you.

I am the author of nine books, contributor to over twenty-five, and some of my articles are posted on my website My books include "Do You Love Jehovah?" "Embrace Ultra-Ability!" and "Dance with Your Heart."

Bachelor of Biblical Studies, Master of Divinity, and Doctor of Divinity

I have received twenty-seven book awards, seven of which are for "Do You Love Jehovah?" The Awards include: Gold – Mom’s Choice Awards – Spirituality/Religion; Finalist – 2010 International Book Awards – Christianity; Finalist – 2010 International Book Awards – Christian Inspirational; Finalist – National Best Books 2009 Awards – Christianity; Finalist – National Indie Excellence 2010 Awards – Religion; Second Place – 2010 Written Art Awards – Religion/Spirituality; Honorable Mention – Reader Views 2009 Literary Awards – Religion (Eastern/Western)