Bible Studies/God's promise to Eli

Question
Hello and thank you very much for answering my question. I would like to know if God broke his promise to Eli when he promised him his family would serve as priest due to Eli's sons indiscretions with their service as priests. OR did God just give the priesthood to Ithamar, an elder of Eli's and so making the promise still valid. Thank you in advance for taking my question.

Peter Tripodi

Answer
God does not break promises so our interpretation of events as told in the Bible must fit into that context.  

In 1 Samuel 2, God confirms that Aaron's priestly line, from which Eli was born, would "would walk before Me forever" (1 Samuel 2:30).  As such, Eli served God and began to minister to Samuel but "the sons of Eli were corrupt; they did not know the Lord" (1 Samuel 2:12).  Because of the wickedness of Hophni and Phinehas, God sent a prophet to tell Eli that these two sons would die and that the priesthood would pass to someone faithful.  God will cut off those who do not serve Him and this prophet was sent to tell Eli of this.  The very next thing we read in the Bible is that Samuel was called to service.  Some may argue that Samuel was acting as the son that Hophni and Phinehas were not, serving God in the priestly line.

The Bible does not give a direct account of the ancestry of Eli.  All of Aaron's sons were designated as priests but only Eleazar and Ithamar survived to fulfill those duties (Numbers 3:4).  Because we don't know the lineage of Aaron's descendants that led to Eli, we don't know how many priests were serving at the time of his death.  In addition, in Ezra, we see that there are several priests named so we know there were multiple men who served in that role at the same time.  Clearly, not everyone in Aaron's line served as priests, as shown by the fact that Nadab and Abihu were killed because of their transgressions (Numbers 3:4). Interestingly, Hophni and Phinehas were killed, as their forefathers Nadab and Abihu were killed, because they profaned the priesthood.

Service to God must be according to His rules.  Those who didn't serve (or don't, today) will be set aside and will, ultimately, perish.

Bible Studies

Roy Wallen