Bible Studies/old testament sacrifices

Hello and thank you for taking my question. I would like to know why, if sin doesnt really cause diseases like leprosy, did God require the Israelites to offer sacrifices for contracting such diseases. Thank you

My apology for the delayed response - the initial notification about your question did not make it to me.

Sacrifices were a way to show remorse for sin and for asking for God's intercession.  By following God's law in offering sacrifices, the relationship with God was restored and His (thankfully, Jesus offered the ultimate sacrifice so we don't need to shed the blood of lambs or pigeons - see Hebrews 10).  In Leviticus 13 and 14 we see the rules for handling leprosy.  There were two reasons for the priest to intercede: for sin atonement and for request for healing.  The one act of sacrifice had two parts, one as a sin offering and the other as a burnt offering (Leviticus 14:31).  The leprous petitioner still needed to atone for sin, whether he had leprosy or not, and the second offering was to request healing.

Bible Studies

Roy Wallen

Using the Bible as my primary source and references in support of it, I am willing to answer questions on subjects from the Old and New Testaments. My faith is based on biblical Christianity and fundamental views from the Bible. I cannot answer questions about specific sects or religious organizations nor can I address religions outside biblical Christianity. As a Christian for over 40 years, I have studied many aspects of the Christian faith. My particular interests are in creation and the natural processes of the world around us and how they fit with the biblical record. I believe that all Scripture is inspired by God. I believe that there are no contradictions in the Bible and that the Bible is complete in telling us as individuals how we should relate to God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit; our purpose on earth; and how we should live. Greek lauguage study has helped me gain additional insight into the New Testament but most of my reference work is done in English and, to a lesser degree, German.

Personal Bible study over the years, lessons delivered in Sunday School settings and messages during organized services, and leading Bible study series have prepared me to be comfortable addressing questions from others.

See for professional background information.

Formal study includes Greek language. I am a layman without a theological degree. Training has come from sitting under the ministry of excellent Bible teachers for my entire adult life, personal study, and selected courses. Secular educational background includes an undergraduate engineering degree, graduate work in engineering and business, and advanced courses in business and theology.