Bible Studies/assyrian captivity of the jews

Question
Hello and thank you for taking my question. In the book of kings it speaks of Israel being captured by Assyria and assyrian people being moved to that land to replace the Israelites. Then we have babylon and eventually Persia capturing Israel - so what exactly are persia and babylon capturing....the original Jews, or the assyrians who had been moved to that land. And if its the original Jews -  how did they get back to Israel twice to be captured over and over again. THank you

Answer
It is important to remember that Israel was two kingdoms.  In 2 Kinds 17 we see that Samaria was captured and the people taken to Assyria; the Assyrians then settled in Samaria, the northern kingdom of Israel.  This left Judah, in the south, to survive until Nebuchadnezzar attacked.  In 2 Kings 25, Jerusalem falls and the southern part of Israel comes under Assyrian rule.  This started the captivity of all the people of Israel.

Bible Studies

Roy Wallen