Bible Studies/Bible verse question

Question
KJV bible study. Different answers were given, which didn't relate to my understanding, so I need to ask someone.

My question is What did Agrippa meant when he said these words:
Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

Thanks you I await your reply.

God bless you.

Answer
Dear Cynthia,

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry for my slow response.  Here is the passage of which you speak:

“And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad. But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness. For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest. Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds.” (Acts 26:24–29, AV)

The greek for almost is litterally "in a short time"  so Agrippa was saying that Paul was persuading him to be a Christian in a short time.  Now context and scholars believe that this is a sarcastic statement... not that Agrippa was really ready to repent and believe.  Paul however seemed to hope that he was serious as we see in verse 29 that Paul not only wanted Agrippa to believe, but everyone who heard.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don  

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter