Bible Studies/Genesis 6

Question
I have tried to figure this out on my own and have failed. During the flood, God told Noah that two of every kind of animal and every kind of creature that moves along the ground. In my mind, I am thinking that creatures are the same thing as animals. Is there a difference?

Answer
The difference between "animals" and "creatures" may be a matter of the translation you choose.  My study Bible is the New King James Version and the passage in Genesis 6:19-20 reads:

And of every living thing of all flesh you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female.  Of the birds after their kind, of animals after their kind, and of every creeping thing of the earth after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive.

In this translation, there is a distinction between animals that move along the ground and creeping things such as snakes.  So we see that there are birds (flying), animals (on the ground), and things that creep (slither along or under the ground).  It is also important to note that there are times when the same idea will be presented two ways in order to communicate the meaning - though that not is the case here.

Bible Studies

Roy Wallen