Bible Studies/the ark in jeremiah

Question
In the third chapter of jeremiah it states the ark will be replaced by a greater glory of God. What exactly are they talking about....do they mean jesus, solomon's temple. I dont understand

THanks Pete

Answer
Hi Peter

Thanks for this interesting question.  

“Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever. Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD. Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion: And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more. At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart. In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given for an inheritance unto your fathers.” (Jeremiah 3:12–18, KJV 1900)

Often when God spoke through the prophets warning of the great punishment coming to the land because of their sins... He also gave hope of eventural restoration.  The Ark was lost after Israel was captured.... but there is coming a time when they will not miss the Ark.  I believe that this is speaking of the rule of Christ during the kingsom.  The following is from a resource I often study from, the Bible Knowledge Commentary:

"The ark of the covenant, which was lost after Babylon destroyed Judah in 586 B.C., would not be missed, and another ark would not be made. In place of the ark will be The Throne of the LORD, a title by which the city of Jerusalem will be known. It is significant that Ezekiel (cf. Ezek. 43:7) also pictured the millennial temple as a place where God’s throne will be. Evidently Christ will rule from the temple during the millennial period. God’s rule from Jerusalem will extend over all nations who will go to Jerusalem to worship Him (cf. Zech. 14:16–19)."

Dyer, C. H. (1985). Jeremiah. In J. F. Walvoord & R. B. Zuck (Eds.), The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures (Vol. 1, p. 1134). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.

I hope that this is a help to you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter