Bible Studies/judah

QUESTION: Hello and thank you for taking my question. In Jeremiah 3:12 it states "Faithless Israel is more righteous than unfaithful Judah."

If this is the case, why did God scatter Israel and take Judah back?

Thanks Pete

Thank you for an interesting question.

This one of those texts that must be read, not only in its immediate context, but also in the context of the rest of the recorded history of the Children of Israel.  

We discover, in II Kings 17, that "... the king of Assyria invaded all the land and came to Sama'ria, and for three years he besieged it. In the ninth year of Hoshe'a the king of Assyria captured Sama'ria, and he carried the Israelites away to Assyria, and placed them in Halah, and on the Habor, the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes." (II Kings 17:5-6; cf. II Kings 18:9-12).  Samaria is, of course, the Northern Kingdom (after the split that took place subsequent to the death of Solomon), and this event is dated as about 734-722 B.C.

Jeremiah wrote his prophetic book to the people of the Southern Kingdom (Judah) about 100-130 years later.  He warned of oncoming destruction if the nation did not repent; called for the nation to turn back to God;  and recognised the inevitability of Judah’s destruction due to its unrepentant idolatry and immorality.  This was made worse - and here is the simple answer to your question! - because they should have learned from the experience of their northern kinsmen.  II Kings 21 is also worth some study, in this connection.

Regarding the Southern Kingdom (Judah) being brought back from captivity, this  was all in the greater plan of Almighty God as it was from this kingdom - from the tribe of Judah - that Messiah was to come: "Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and He shall reign as King and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In His days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the Name by which He will be called: 'The Lord is our righteousness.'" (Jer 23:5-6; see also 33:15).

I trust that you will be helped by my response, but please feel free to submit a supplementary question if further clarification is required.

Blessings, and shalom.

QUESTION: So what your saying is that Judah didnt act any differently than Israel its just that had more merccy on them, so he could bring forth the messiah

Hi, again, Pete

What I am saying is that Judah actually acted worse than Israel, because they should have learned Israel's lesson.  However, we are now moving into two additional areas - grace, and eternity.  To deal with these in any acceptable way would require a chapter on each (well beyond the scope of AllExperts!).  I know this, because my first book, "Great Words of the Faith", deals with both (and a lot of others!).  Details below.

As simply as possible, grace is God's undeserved favour.  His mercy towards Judah was not because they deserved it any more than Israel (or than you or me!).  It was an act of His grace that did lead to the Messiah being born into this world in fulfilment of prophecy.  That leads us on to eternity, which is not endless time, but timelessness, and which contains the linear time that is our experience.  If you can get a hold of "Mere Christianity", by C.S.Lewis, he also deals with that subject.  I don't know if it is still in print, but an older Christian friend might have a copy that you could borrow!

By the way, as I haven't yet added it below, I should mention that I have just published my second book in the series - "Foundations of the Faith".  As your main interest (according to the questions you have asked me!) seems to be more in the area of the Old Testament, you may not be interested - but I thought it worth mentioning!

I trust that this may have clarified the situation a little more - but, as far as I know, there is no limit on supplementary questions!!

Bible Studies

Rev C.Brian Ross

I am happy to offer answers to anyone with a question that refers to the Christian Faith in its widest possible sense. I believe that the Bible is the living Word of God, and seek to base all of my life on its teaching. I also have some knowledge of some of the cults, and of Islam and Judaism. Of course, my answers are just one man's thoughts, and I would always advise a questioner to check with others, and with the Word of God.

Served as a full-time parish minister in Scotland for about six years, and then spent the last thirty as a teacher (now 'retired') of Religious Education in Secondary Comprehensive schools (ages 11-17) while continuing my own preaching and teaching ministry. I have spent three years as a voluntary Chaplain with Strathclyde Police Force. I also believe that learning is a life-time process, and have recently completed a Master's degree in Divinity. I now spend most of my time in France, ministering mainly to English-speaking groups.

Former Presenter on Revival FM - a local Christian, community radio station, broadcasting in west central Scotland, and online at Involved with a number of organisations that support Christians who are currently suffering persecution in some 70 countries around the world. Until the formation of the new Police Scotland Force, I was a Chaplain with Strathclyde Police Force, deployed within 'Q' and 'N' Divisions, and also responsible for the Force Training and Recruitment Centre.

Various articles in Christian magazines. I also maintain a blog - My first book, Great Words of the Faith, is available as a Kindle e-book at My second book, Foundations of the Faith, is available as a Kindle e-book at*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Diploma of The Bible Training Institute, Glasgow; Licentiate in Theology of the University of Glasgow; Associateship of The Philosophical Society of England; Bachelor of Arts Degree (Hons) in History from The Open University; Post-grad Certificate of Education - Religious Education and History; Post-grad Certificate in Learning and Teaching; Post-grad Diploma in Management and Learning in Education; Master of Science Degree from the University of Strathclyde; Master of Divinity Degree (with Distinction) from Trinity College and Seminary (accredited by the University of Liverpool)