Bible Studies/Trouble understand the Bible

QUESTION: I am a new Christian and reading the Bible on my own time. Could you please explain what is meant in the following passage as I am completely confused:
Genesis 2:24-25

ANSWER: Hi, Danika,
Thank you for your Bible question, which I'll be more than glad to answer below.

You asked: Could you please explain what is meant in the following passage as I am completely confused: Genesis 2:24-25

My answer: To explain this passage, I'll briefly summarize its context. Yahweh God Almighty created the institution of marriage, and He performed history's first marriage when He presented Eve to Adam in Genesis 2:22. Genesis 2:24 states the purpose of marriage and it's main aspect. In marriage, a man may leave his parents and starts his own family with his wife. Leaving his parents, however, does not mean that he is no longer responsible for their welfare, as God's Word admonishes all to care for their family and honor their parents (Exodus 20:12; 1 Timothy 5:8). In his union with his wife, the man becomes one flesh with her. Becoming "one flesh" speaks of spiritual oneness or unity, where the two are spiritually knit together to live in love and harmony with each other. This "oneness" is what Jesus wishes all Christians to achieve with him and God; just as Jesus and God are "one," so should all Christians be "one" with Jesus and God (read John 17).

Like animals, the first two humans wore no clothing, as nakedness was part of God's natural creation. Naturally, like newborn infants, neither Adam and Eve felt embarrassed in each other's presence in their original nakedness. However, after they broke Yahweh's only commandment to them, they immediately felt shame in their nakedness (Genesis 3:7). The consumption of the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil opened their eyes, meaning that it enabled them to perceive that they had lost their innocence as a result of disobeying God's law. In such a state, they felt "exposed," so they attempted to cover themselves up and hid themselves from God. Ever since, nakedness in the Bible symbolizes humanity's shame due to their sinfulness. Before the righteous and holy God, we're all spiritually naked, with our sins lay exposed to Him.

I hope this clarifies Genesis 2:24-25. If you'd like me to clarify anything, please do ask, and I'd be happy to explain.

It's truly wonderful that you're reading the Bible on your own, so keep it up! As you study God's sacred Word, if you ever have any other question about any verse or passage, please do not hesitate to ask. It'll be my pleasure to answer your questions to the best of my ability, with God's help.

Thank you,
Shirley Ministry - Study the Entire Bible in Depth for Free via E-mail

QUESTION: Sorry to bother you again. I am now confused with Genesis 3:24.

Could you please provide me with an e-mail address I can contact you at should I have any other questions as opposed to repeatedly going through this site?

Hi, Danika,
Good to hear from you again. No need to apologize--you're not bothering me at all, as I'm always happy to answer people's questions about the most important book ever written: the Bible by Yahweh God. So on to your question and my answer:

You asked: I am now confused with Genesis 3:24.

My answer: As with my last answer, I'll explain the context in order to clarify this passage. Back in Genesis 1, we learned that Yahweh made humans in His image, meaning in His spiritual likeness where people have the ability to think and reason, to love and hate, and to make moral decisions like God. Additionally, as He created humans in His image, God intended them to live forever. Unfortunately, Adam and Eve forfeited immortality for themselves and all their offspring--but temporarily (thank God for Jesus Christ!).

In the middle of the Garden of Eden, Yahweh planted two trees: the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (the forbidden tree to eat) and the tree of life, which gave immortality. Because the penalty for breaking God's commandment was death and that Adam and Eve broke the command, then Adam and Eve forfeited eternal life and had to die. Therefore, to prevent them from eating from the tree of life, Yahweh drove them out of the Garden of Eden, and posted cherubim to guard the way to the tree of life (Genesis 3:24). Cherubim are a kind of spirit creatures with wings. In the Bible, they are usually described as spirits who act as guards. Also, God had a fiery sword that guarded the way to the tree of life; it turned in various directions on its own, it seems. This made sure that no human had access to eternal life. Eternal life is possible only when Yahweh grants it, and He appoints His Son as the way to that life.

Please let me know if you'd like me to clarify anything.

You are more than welcome to contact me via my site at Just fill out the contact form to send me a private message. Once I hear from you, I'll e-mail you so you can e-mail me from then on to ask me any Bible questions you like.

Thank you. Keep up with your Bible study!

Bible Studies

Dr. Shirley Cheng

I will be more than glad to answer questions in regards to a) passages in the Torah, also known as the Pentateuch, which is comprised of the first five "books" of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy; b) passages in the historical books of Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, and 2 Samuel; and c) basic Biblical doctrines, precepts, and principles. When you ask about a specific passage, please indicate the chapter and verse(s) wherever possible. Before you ask a question about a Biblical doctrine, principle, or precept, please first check to see if your question is already answered. If you're interested in an in-depth Bible study of the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation, you are more than welcome to sign up for my e-mail virtual class at

I am the founder of Ministry and a Bible teacher who is teaching the Bible in depth from Genesis to Revelation. I have read fourteen different versions of the Bible, written a book on Christianity titled "Do You Love Jehovah? God Almighty's Infinite Love & Wisdom to Propel You to Greatness," and have personally experienced the power, love, and protection of my Heavenly Father throughout my life. Being a blind and physically disabled individual who is passionately in love with life, I am a living example of what faith in Yahweh God Almighty can do for you.

I am the author of nine books, contributor to over twenty-five, and some of my articles are posted on my website My books include "Do You Love Jehovah?" "Embrace Ultra-Ability!" and "Dance with Your Heart."

Bachelor of Biblical Studies, Master of Divinity, and Doctor of Divinity

I have received twenty-seven book awards, seven of which are for "Do You Love Jehovah?" The Awards include: Gold – Mom’s Choice Awards – Spirituality/Religion; Finalist – 2010 International Book Awards – Christianity; Finalist – 2010 International Book Awards – Christian Inspirational; Finalist – National Best Books 2009 Awards – Christianity; Finalist – National Indie Excellence 2010 Awards – Religion; Second Place – 2010 Written Art Awards – Religion/Spirituality; Honorable Mention – Reader Views 2009 Literary Awards – Religion (Eastern/Western)