Bible Studies/Genesis 12

Question
How can we be sure that God's covenant and blessing
was addressed to the descendants of Isaac and not
of Ishmael?

Had Ishmael already left the household at the time
the covenant and blessing had been given?

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi, Jennifer,

Thank you for your Bible question, which I'll be glad to answer below.

You wrote: How can we be sure that God's covenant and blessing was addressed to the descendants of Isaac and not of Ishmael?

Had Ishmael already left the household at the time the covenant and blessing had been given?

My answer: When Yahweh God first established the Abrahamic covenant with Abraham (then called Abram), Abraham was still childless, without either Ishmael or Isaac. But when Ishmael was thirteen (Isaac wouldn't be born till a year later), Abraham wished that Ishmael would live in Yahweh's presence to receive all His blessings in His covenant, but God rejected Ishmael as the heir, and instead chose Isaac the son He promised to Abraham, saying, "No, but Sarah, your wife, will bear you a son. You shall call his name Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his seed after him." (Genesis 17:19, WEB) As for Ishmael, Yahweh promised Abraham, "I have heard you. Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly. He will become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. But my covenant I establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this set time next year." (Genesis 17:20-21) From this, we see that Yahweh would bless Ishmael by making him fruitful, but He would bless Isaac with the covenant. The covenant was to be passed down from Abraham to Isaac, not Ishmael.

When Isaac was full-grown, Yahweh officially bestowed the covenant unto him personally, saying, "Live in this land, and I will be with you, and will bless you. For to you, and to your seed, I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath which I swore to Abraham your father. I will multiply your seed as the stars of the sky, and will give to your seed all these lands. In your seed will all the nations of the earth be blessed, because Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my requirements, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." (Genesis 26:3-5) Here, we see that Yahweh promised to give Isaac and his seed the Promised Land of Canaan, that his seed would be numerous as the stars, and that all nations's will be blessed in his seed. These are the promises in the Abrahamic covenant (Genesis 12:2-3; Genesis 12:7; Genesis 22:18).

Note also, that the "seed" of Abraham and Isaac ultimately points to Jesus Christ, in whom peoples have indeed been blessed (Galatians 3:16). Jesus is the seed of Isaac, not Ishmael, hence another evidence of the fact that the Abrahamic covenant passed down to Isaac, not Ishmael.

I hope this fully answers your question. If you have any other question, or would like me to clarify anything, please do ask, and I'd be more than happy to do my best to answer your question.

Thank you again for your question. Keep up with your Bible study!

Shirley
Study the Bible in Depth from Genesis to Revelation for Free via E-mail in Your Own Pace

Bible Studies

Dr. Shirley Cheng