Bible Studies/Trouble understanding the Bible

Question
I am reading the Bible and there was a section I didn't understand. Could you please explain it? The section I didn't understand was Genesis 21:18.

Answer
To get a clearer view of this passage, look at the beginning of Genesis 21.  Sarah's having a child in old age was a fulfillment of God's promise (vs. 1).  The promise was necessary to have an heir and God had promised to make Abraham the father of a great nation.  The idea is that God is faithful in spite of circumstances (like advanced age).  Verse 18 concerns Abraham' son by his handmade Hagar.  She feared that her son would die in the desert and an angel heard her cry. God said he would make him into a great nation.    
   This is an interesting passage.  I have heard that the Hagar/her son's lineage was that of Islam.  In this passage, it seems to say that both Isaac and Hagar's son would become a great nation (vs. 18).  The idea, I think, is that neither child would be excluded from Abraham's promise.  God heard the cry of Hagar's son, thus, God was faithful to him.  Joel

Bible Studies

Joel Bjorling