Bible Studies/mark 13:1-2

hello and thank you for taking my question.

In Mark 13:1-2 Jesus and his disciples are discussing the grandiosity of the temple and Jesus say his famous 'not one stone will be left upon another,' line. but we still have the wailing wall intact So how am I to understand this?

Thanks Pete

It appears from this entry in Wikipedia, that the "Wailing Wall" was not part of the above-ground, visible structure of Herod's Temple. It was a retaining wall built to keep the outer edges of the flattened top of the Temple Mount in place--to keep the unnaturally modified soil from falling down the hill.

If you understand Jesus' prophecy as referring to the beautiful visible edifice of the main Temple building itself, the prophecy will have been literally fulfilled. The fine ashlar blocks and other stone elements from which it was constructed will have been knocked down and used in the construction of Roman imperial buildings on the same site and elsewhere.

Bible Studies

J. Webb Mealy

Qualified to answer questions about the New Testament, including ones that require expert knowledge of Greek, New Testament History, and New Testament Theology. Particular area of expertise is New Testament eschatology (teachings on the end of the world), the Book of Revelation, and the Gospel and epistles of John. Questions about English translations--how they are arrived at, whether they are accurate, and whether there are alternative possibilities. Textual criticism.

Have taught the Bible and New Testament to lay people for 20 years. Translator of the Spoken English New Testament (, author of After the Thousand Years: Resurrection and Judgment in Revelation 20 (Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1992). Senior Biblical Studies Editor, Sheffield Academic Press, 1990-1995.

Instructor, Seminary of the Street, Oakland, CA

See my online publication,, which gives an easy-to-understand but thorough introduction to the Christian Good News. See, home of the Spoken English New Testament, the most accurate available translation of the New Testament into natural contemporary English.

PhD, Biblical Studies, Sheffield, UK MA (Honors), Humanities, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, KY BA (Cum Laude), Religious Studies/New Testament, Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA

Research Paper, "Tracing the Rise of Modalism in Rome," named best graduate paper of the year, Western Kentucky University, 1981