Bible Studies/Word of Faith

Hello.I am struggling through Matthew 24. I have read 5 different commentators trying to understand if Jesus was talking about the tribulations of the Jews during that time or talking about the total end of times for us all. I have prayed and asked, if it's God's will, that the Holy Spirit help me discern the truth. I will continue to do so, but I wanted to ask you as well. What if I'm wrong in which tribulation I decide it is? Somehow I'm letting the devil drive me a little crazy with this. If you decide to answer, just know it will be greatly appreciated. Ann

Greetings Ann,

Thank you for sending your question.  Like much of the Bible, much of Matthew 24 has a duel meaning. Part of what Christ personally told His followers then applied to them in their time and Christ's words also apply to us now and in the very near future.

The first verses of Matthew 24 warn of wars, famine, earthquakes and the persecution of the followers of God and Christ.  We are already seeing these things happen around the world, especially with the recent influx of Muslims and Islam into many countries, including the United States and Europe.  (Having read the Koran, part of what Islam teaches is that those that do not adhere to Islam should be killed.)
The followers of God and Christ are facing and will be facing growing trials and threats to our way of life and our beliefs.  It is part of what Christ was warning of in Matthew 24.
In short we are now facing the beginning of the end of Satan's control and mankind's rule on the earth.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Those that are followers of God and Christ have nothing to fear no matter how difficult or trying the next few years may be.  There are promises made by God and Christ, written in the Bible, for individuals that choose to have faith in God.

Therefore do not worry, saying, What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or What shall we wear?  For after all these things the Gentiles (non-believers) seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."  Matthew 6: 31-34

For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be."  Matthew 24:21
Matthew 24:21 is referring to a time written about in Revelation 11:3, 1260 days or 3.5 years.  During this 3.5 years period powerful  false christs will arise and will try and fool even those that have great faith in the true God.

"For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect (true followers of God)."  Mat 24:24

"Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon."  Rev 13:11  This is referring to one of two individuals that will fight against God, Christ and Their followers.  Thankfully they will fail, Christ will return to earth to set up God's kingdom on earth shortly after the end of the 3.5 year tribulation.

"Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True (Christ), and in righteousness He judges and makes war."  Rev 19:11

"And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written:  KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS." Rev 19:16
Rev 21:2

"Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven (to earth) from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.  And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, €śBehold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God."  Rev 21:2-3

Mankind and the world is facing far more difficult times than have ever faced before and all this will occur very soon.  But those that follow God and Christ have nothing to fear, we are promised a place in God's family as long as we have true faith in God.
Christ left us two commandments to follow:
Put God first in everything we do.
"And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment."  Mark 12:30

Treat others as we would want God to treat us.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another." John 13:34

This is a very brief overview, but hopefully it has helped.  Matthew 24 and much of the prophecy found elsewhere in the Bible applies to us today and is pointing to Christ's return to earth to set up God's Kingdom on earth for those that now have, or will have faith and believe in God and Christ.

We have nothing to fear and much to look forward to.  Please feel free to contact us with any further questions that you might have.  Always happy to help.
May God bless your understanding,
The Hornes

Bible Studies

Mel and Guyna Horne

Anyone can read the Bible but sometimes it helps to have someone assist with the understanding (Acts 8:26-40). Truth comes from God through his holy spirit of truth (Jn. 16:13, 1Cor. 2:12), which is available to anyone who believes, repents and seeks God fervently and wholeheartedly, with humility, faith and persistence (Mat. 7:7, Deu. 4:29, Isa. 66:2, Jas. 4:1-10, Phil. 2:12). Truth is not limited to, or by, man’s religious organizations, church traditions, popular beliefs or personal opinions (Jn. 8:32, 14:6). We will try to help anyone who is trying to understand scripture or Christian living. [Please do not submit homework questions as they will be rejected.]

Over 50 years of personal study of the entire Bible (Deu. 8:3, Mat. 4:4, 2Tim. 3:16, Deu. 4:12, Rev. 22:18). B.A. in Theology with continuing studies in religious history and education (2Tim 2:15, 1Ths. 5:21). Years of informal counseling of young adults, teens, couples, and prisoners, based on scripture and on actual life experience in the world outside of classrooms and church buildings and including a long and happy marriage. After years of experience with organized religion, we are non-denominational. Publications:; on God's Holy Days, Lying, the Sacred Names Doctrine; articles on Terrorism and Islam, the Gospel of Christ, Preparing Yourself for Life in the Kingdom of Christ; What Happens After Death

Organizations are of men, not God. While God may use some of them to facilitate his plan, organizations train their people to follow, not to lead. God was able to create the whole Creation, as we see it, in only six days, because he did not use a committee. Ten years after 9/11, the only thing approved for construction at the New York site was a mosque.

"If a man would teach others, he must first teach himself." - Source Unknown. B.A. in Theology, over 50 years of personal study, the last sixteen of which have been full time study and research resulting in publication of several books and many articles.