Bible Studies/What does the Bible say about things like

Question
QUESTION: Hi. I am a Christian and I am being serious. I think "selfies" are ridiculous- why do random people of ALL AGES think the WORLD wants to know what they look like? Why should I care what some Joe Schmo's whom I will never meet in real life look like? Why do people make a big fuss over "selfies" and why are they so important to some folks? What is the point of them? Joyce Meyer said they are ridiculous too and pointed out the Bible says Christians are supposed to be DEAD to SELF. What does the Bible say about "selfies"?

In this day and age people can gain "instant notoriety" online by doing something to make themselves Internet-famous. People can post web videos on sites like YouTube, Dailymotion and Metacafe, etc, and up to millions to even billions of folks can see them. People can showcase artwork or literary works on sites like DeviantArt.com or music or songs they wrote/perform on sites like MySpace, etc. What does the Bible say about people getting "instant notoriety" online?

The Word does talk about the Internet - in the Last days "knowledge will be increased" (Daniel 12:4).

I would imagine "selfies" and getting instant notoriety online has ties to the Last Days but what does the Bible say specifically about these two things in the Last Days?

Off-hand I think the following applies -

The Bible says in 2 Timothy 3:4 that people will be lovers of pleasures more than God in the Last Days- lovers of "sensual pleasures" and "vain amusements."

Please help - thank you.

ANSWER:
Greetings Jason,

Can not argue that we are living near the end of man's rule on earth, but thankfully this means that we are that much closer to Christ returning and setting up God's Kingdom on earth. (see Revelation)

God has given mankind thousands of years to show God that we are worthy to be part of His family and for the most part, mankind as a whole, has failed. Obviously there are exceptions and those that chose and do choose to live God's way of life.

As a whole, most people haven't changed at all.  From the time of Adam, Eve and their offspring, people have put their own selfish wants and needs above God. Adam and Eve lied to God's face.  Jacob's sons sold Joseph into slavery because they were jealous of him.
David, a man that God called a man after His own heart, took another man's wife and sent her husband to his death.

Now in our own time, one of the worst genocides of Christians in recent history is occurring in various parts of the world by Muslims with the goal of taking over the world and killing or forcing everyone in their path to bow to Islam.
Selfish people taking hundreds of selfies of themselves seems trivial next to the things listed here.

Whether the people of the world, are willing to admit it or not, many of them are afraid.  Afraid of what is happening to our respective countries, in their own lives, fear of the unknown because they don't understand the prophecy written in the Bible, and fear of what happens when they die.

When people are afraid many become even more selfish, turning inward rather than turning toward God for answers. Even this isn't new.  Read Acts 8:9-24.  Simon, already famous for his sorcery, tried to buy God's Spirit and power which is given as a gift to those that live God's way of life, following Christ's example.  Even though this happened close to two thousand years ago, not much has changed has it?  People still want to be famous, powerful and rich.

Selfies and instant internet fame at what ever level are just a small symptom of a much larger problem. Rejection of God. People do not understand or refuse to understand that selfishness and greed will not bring happiness. Only understanding God and having true faith in Him will bring peace and happiness.

Christ left us with two commandments.
1. Put God first above all others.
2. Treat others as we want to be treated and as we want God to treat us.

One of these days, and it will be soon, many will learn to live God's way of life, to choose eternal life.

Regarding Daniel 12:4;  The Bible isn't referring to the internet but to the end time when God will pour out His Spirit on many and their knowledge and understanding of God and His Kingdom will increase.

“And it shall come to pass afterward
That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your old men shall dream dreams,
Your young men shall see visions." Joel 2:28

"And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams."  Acts 2:17

Hope this has helped you and thank you for your question.  Always happy to help.
The Hornes

QUESTION: Hi Mr. and Mrs. Hornes, how are you all? Thank you for answering and God Bless. Here is another Scripture I would like to share:

2 Timothy 3:1-2:
"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. FOR MEN SHALL BE LOVERS OF THEIR OWN SELVES, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,"

Someone I met told me she is a Christian and she does not like "selfies' either- she said they are narcissistic and I agree with you. Narcissism stems from vanity and posting "selfies" to appease to millions online sounds very selfish and vain to me. As for gaining internet fame, which is not necessarily a bad thing, I found this link:

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/culture/surprisingly-depressing-experience-going

The OP refers to Ecclesiastes 1:8 which says, "All things are full of labor; man cannot utter it. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing." This probably explains why so many things online are so popular.

Going online IS a good way to get noticed, but a lot of the folks who do it to gain instant notoriety sound like they have pride issues. That sounds like boastfulness to me. I am not judging- I am expressing what I think.

Would you agree?

I would like to share this link with you- this is a link to a question I posted on Yahoo! Answers:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20160315040809AAci8ev

Do you agree with what I said, and what the people said in response to my question on Yahoo! Answers?

A large chunk of what is online is nonsense- what does the Bible say about this in the End Times besides people being "lovers of vain amusements"?

Please let me know and thank you.

Answer
Greetings,
You wrote: "A large chunk of what is online is nonsense- what does the Bible say about this in the End Times besides people being "lovers of vain amusements"?"

Regarding the "end time",  the end of mankind's rule on earth please read Matthew 24 and all of the book of Revelation.
Please let me know if you have any questions after reading Matthew 24 and Revelations.

God's will is to have a family.  This is why mankind was created in the beginning.  It is the purpose of each individual to prove to God that they are worthy to be considered part of God's family.
Being a member of God's family is simple.
1. We must believe in God.
2. We must believe that Jesus Christ was God's first born son (with many more sons and daughters to come).
3. And we must live our lives following the two commandments that Christ lived by and left for us to follow.

The first commandment:
"Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."  Matthew 22:37
We are to live God's way of life at all times, following the example that Christ set for us and communicating with God asking for His help, forgiveness, and His Spirit.

The second commandment:
“And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself."  Matthew 22:39
Treat all others as you would want to be treated and as you would want God to treat you.  Again, asking God for help and communicating with Him.

By concentrating on only one aspect of sin an individual can miss the beam in his/her own eye.  (Matthew 7:3-5)

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;"  Philippians 2:12

May God grant you wisdom and understanding,
The Hornes  

Bible Studies

Mel and Guyna Horne