Bible Studies/Is it a sin to talk about Christian leaders when they are doing something wrong

Question
Hi. I am a Born-Again Christian. I know we should pray for your leaders- the Bible says that and that includes Spiritual leaders. If you see Christian ministers, pastors or televangelists giving out the wrong message or saying something that is incorrect we should pray for them and ask the Lord to convict them about what they are doing, but is it a sin to talk about this? If you making a statement about what they are doing that is not criticizing. Criticizing is talking about what they are doing wrong and holding it against them.

Sometimes preachers are not always correct about what they are preaching about. The Word says to study the Bible to show yourself approved.

Televangelists, ministers. pastors, bishops, etc. are the heads of their ministries, the "shepherds of their flocks". If they are leading their congregations astray God is going to hold them accountable. The Bible says this.

What Scriptures are there that deal with this issue?

Please help- thank you.

Answer
Greetings Jason,

The only true leaders that we should listen to is God and Christ. We read the words of God and Christ within the Bible and this is our example to follow. We listen to God's instruction by having access to Him by having His Spirit within us.
After years and years of reading of and listening to priests, pastors, ministers and representatives of other religions including those that claim to follow God and Christ we have not found one that is a true follower of God and Christ.
There a many men and women that claim to speak for God or speak in God's name and it is up to each individual to prove whether the person in question is actually correctly teaching God's words.

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."  Romans 12:2

"But the prophet (minister, priest, teacher, rabbi, imam) who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.  And if you say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’— when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him."  Deuteronomy 18:20-22

As for praying for such people that do not teach or follow God's truth there are instructions in the Bible for this as well:

“Therefore do not pray for this people, nor lift up a cry or prayer for them, nor make intercession to Me; for I will not hear you."  Jeremiah 7:16

“So do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them; for I will not hear them in the time that they cry out to Me because of their trouble."  Jeremiah 11:14

Should we pray for individuals that continually teach what is contrary to God's and Christ's teachings? Not according to what God instructed Jeremiah.  Should we even spend our time listening to individuals that are not true followers of God and Christ when we have so much to learn directly from God and Christ?  Not according to Christ's instructions.

It is not a sin to understand and point out that there are many that claim to be representatives of God and Christ but are not.  Christ, our example, did so on many occasions when he pointed out the hypocrisy of the Pharisees and rulers of His time.  But it also isn't something that He spent a great deal of time on either.  Christ spent most of His time teaching how to live God's way of life and about God's kingdom on earth, a kingdom that will be set up here on earth very soon. (see Revelation)

We have God, a Father that loves us and we have a High Priest in Jesus Christ.  Do we really need to depend on men and women to tell us how to live or what to believe?  Absolutely not!  And I do not expect you to take my word for it either.  Ask God for help and prove it for yourself.

"....and having a High Priest over the house of God,.....Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.  For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?  For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The LORD will judge His people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."  Hebrews 10:21-31

Christ's own words: “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours."  John 17:9

“Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you."  Revelation 3:3

“Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown." Revelation 3:11

As long as we live God's way of life, having true faith and follow Christ's example then we have nothing to fear at all providing we live our lives setting a Christ like example.

Hope this answer has helped.  Thank you for your question and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.  Always happy to help.
The Hornes

Bible Studies

Mel and Guyna Horne