Bible Studies/12 Disciple

Question
Greetings,

I was reading a scriptures in 1 Corinthians 15 and happened to came across verse 5 {"5 and that he appeared to Cephas,[Peter] and then to the Twelve.} Since Judas already hang himself, who was the 12 out of those 12 disciple.. since this was before Matthias was chosen to replace Judas?

Thanks

Ryan

Answer
Hi Ryan,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your question.

"Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.  For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve."  1 Corinthians 15:1-5

It appears that Paul was using generalized terms in this passage and is referring to the "twelve" as in the original twelve disciples. The original twelve, including Judas, were the first to which Christ made it known that He was God's Son, the Messiah.

Acts 1:13 clearly lists the eleven remaining disciples praying together, with others, shortly after Christ ascended, but shortly before Christ chose Paul (Saul -Acts 9) as the twelfth disciple and before the remaining eleven disciples chose their own replacement.

"And when they had entered, they went up into the upper room where they were staying: Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers." Acts 1:13-14

Thank you for your question,

The Hornes

Bible Studies

Mel and Guyna Horne