Bible Studies/Change

Question
QUESTION: Hi,teacher Scott, I was told once that if God wants you to do something,that He will put that DESIRE in your heart. TRUE or Not true?

ANSWER: Hmm. Perhaps He does sometimes ... but not always. Consider Jonah.

Here's something to think about. If not, why not?

Here's another way to look at it. Is it a good thing if someone does something for you that you like, even if he doesn't necessarily want to do it? Isn't that sometimes better?

Scott

QUESTION: Hmmm...well the problem is that we want to move to SC. I cant stand the FL heat. So anyway I keep getting the feeling that I should move back to Maine but I despise the thought of the cold and snow. So how am I to know which one is best? Which one God wants?

Answer
Feelings alone are not reliable criteria for making decisions. They may play a role, but we should consider other things.

In James 1, we're told to ask God for wisdom. Wisdom, according to the book of Proverbs, starts with knowledge (getting the facts), then moves to understanding (applying those facts to your situation), and then to wisdom (the skillful use of that knowledge in making decisions).

Proverbs 15:22 tells us that it is wise to consult many advisors--talk to others who can help counsel you.

Ultimately God may guide you to do things that have some undesirable components. He may eventually help you to like those things.

And yes, God often gives us the desires of our hearts. In fact, He often gives us those desires--wires us in unique ways with our own unique longings.

Scott

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot