Bible Studies/Exodus 13

Question
Hello and thankyou for taking my question. I would like to know If the ceremony of redemption of the first born male is a buying back from God what was consecrated to him in the consecration ceremony. In other words did they first consecrate the child rio God and then redeem him back.

Thank you

Answer
Hi Pete,

Thanks for this great question.  As I understand the story of the Passover, it seems that the concept is that all the first born are condemned to death... the only thing that will lift that condemnation is the slaying of an innocent lamb and the application of its blood on the door post.  This points to the fact that we are all sinners, and it is only through the innocent blood of Jesus, applied by faith that we can have the curse of sin removed... that curse is death.

“Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:” (1 Corinthians 5:7, KJV 1900)

“The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” (John 1:29, KJV 1900)

“But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8, KJV 1900)

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ,
Pastor Don

Bible Studies

Pastor Don Carpenter