Bible Studies/Salvation

Question
Hi Scott,

What are the differences between eternal salvation and everlasting life ? Are they basically saying the same thing ?

I think the book of Revelation refers to everlasting life and many scriptures refer to eternal salvation.

I have also heard the scripture term Life without end.

This question came up in a home Bible study and from the group it was concluded that they are different and mean something different. But we did not have a chance to discuss it further.

Thanks for offering more insight. It is appreciated !!

Answer
Hi Ron,

The two ideas are related.

The Bible states in Romans 3:23, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." In Romans 6:23, we're told, "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Then, in Romans 10:9-13, we read, "If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, 'Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.' For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'”

Because we are sinners, we stand guilty in the eyes of a holy God. God demands punishment for our sin, which is eternal death, or separation from God forever.

However, God offered us a gift. Jesus served our death sentence for us so that, anyone who places his trust in Him will be released from condemnation and will be saved. As a result, we will not experience eternal spiritual death, but rather eternal life. So salvation leads to eternal life.

Scott

Bible Studies

Scott Talbot