Bible Studies/Questions Answered by Expert Edward Bode

SubjectDate Asked
Christian Values4/4/2017
  Q: Mr. Bode, I am curious about Christian values. In the New Testament, Jesus spoke many wise things, ...
  A: Scholars recognize, as you comment, that many teachings of the OT are transformed in the NT. This ...
?12/5/2016
  Q: Sir, someone who knows scripture complete, was it written anywhere in scripture that Jesus was ugly? ...
  A: I do not know of a NT passage that actually refers to the physical appearance of Jesus as ugly. ...
Celebrating Christmas11/16/2016
  Q: Please tell me what the scriptures says about JESUS Birthday Dec.25th ? Or what your take on this ...
  A: Ray, for writing and your wishes for me and family. Sincere and regular prayer is one important key ...
sheep of Israel4/8/2016
  Q: In Matthew 15:24 Our Lord tells a Gentile woman who is in need that He was sent for the "lost sheep ...
  A: Understanding a biblical passage requires examining the context within the book and all scripture. ...
antichrist2/3/2016
  Q: Where does it say that the antichrist comes from the tribe of Dan?
  A: The bible nowhere says that the Antichrist [see letters of John for the word] comes from the tribe ...
Christmas Celebration.10/30/2015
  Q: Christmas Day is celebrated for the birth of Lord Jesus Christ. Will you be against lighting Fire ...
  A: Nice of you, Prashant, to write again. I apologize for my delay in answering. In the city where I ...
communion wine10/21/2015
  Q: In the old testament God uses his goblet of wine and punishes people by making them drink it; ...
  A: I see no connection with the punishing goblet with the blessed Eucharist, the union with the ...
Bible reference8/8/2015
  Q: Does Jesus say anywhere in the Bible that He came to die for the sins of man and that His blood will ...
  A: I am not aware of any quotes from Jesus in the gospels that match your request. However, the NT ...
Bible composition7/15/2015
  Q: I want to know what century it was that the two title pages THE OLD TESTAMENT and THE NEW TESTAMENT ...
  A: I am not sure of the first use of NEW and OLD, but the terms were in use long before Gutenburg ...
Passage indentification7/9/2015
  Q: "On the day we are born we are entrusted with a mission. The righteous person gives his life ...
  A: The website is: chabad.org I tried to send an earlier message, which I am not sure that you ...
the scythians5/21/2015
  Q: I would like to know when exactly the scythians conquered Judea and for how long. Thank you ...
  A: The Scythians, 8th century BC in today's southwestern Russia, entered Palestine as part of a raid ...
Romans 7:24-254/14/2015
  Q: In these famous verses, "24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is ...
  A: Paul recognizes the human struggle between what one knows is right and what one does wrong ...
repent or perish2/25/2015
  Q: In Luke 13 our Lord replies to a notion that "worse" sinners die tragically. His response "...unless ...
  A: In order to understand the concepts of repentance and conversion, one needs to search the entire New ...
Love your enemies psalm.2/19/2015
  Q: In the Holy Bible - Matthew - 5:43, Love your enemies, Forgive your enemies I have the following ...
  A: Nice to hear again from you, Prashant. Jesus' words on love and forgiveness of "enemies" is one of ...
deuteronomy 12;17-182/14/2015
  Q: I found this passage in deuteronomy 12: 17-19 "You may not eat within your towns kthe tithe of your ...
  A: A rather common interpretation of Deut 12 is that the chapter is composed of three parcels ...
exodus 14:41/18/2015
  Q: in exodus 14;4 it says that the egyptians will come to honor and know GOd as a result of what he was ...
  A: Peter, my understanding of the verse 4 is that the Egyptians will realize/know that the God Of ...
need scriptures10/8/2014
  Q: Edward, You have a quite a background, I need some help with some scriptures you may know. I ...
  A: Thinking of your concern, I am not sure how to respond. First, the bible does not speak specifically ...
Hebrew words7/29/2014
  Q: What are the biblical hebrew words for the following: disbelieved, disbelievers, belived, faith, ...
  A: Shalom! I am not sure how to respond -- in Hebrew letters [?if my computer would do so] or English. ...
Location of Paradise7/19/2014
  Q: In interpreting Jesus' statement: "Today you will be with me in paradise", it is a common Christian ...
  A: I checked with two friend-scholars. One replied: In the first century B.C., the Jewish belief was ...
Birth date of Lord Jesus Christ.5/25/2014
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus We are in the 21st century current year being 2014. As ...
  A: Nice to hear from you again, Prashant. Wikipedia is saying that, according to our current way of ...
Romans 9:22-233/22/2014
  Q: In the same way, even though God has the right to show His anger and His power, He is very patient ...
  A: Nice, Cathy, that you devote a quiet time to praying with and through reading the bible. Allow me ...
1 John3/3/2014
  Q: Hello and thank you for your time. What is your thoughts on how the apostle John believes compared ...
  A: Josh. I too appreciate the conversation. One would expect that John and Paul would write in ...
study of christianity2/28/2014
  Q: am 21year old male and i follow hinduism. i want to learn about christianity and bible in depth as i ...
  A: Nice to hear from India, Rishabh. A quite literal translation of the bible is: The Holy Bible, ...
The day we stand before God.9/20/2013
  Q: Do you believe on Judgment day Jesus will have mercy and compassion on Christians or do you think he ...
  A: Josh, I appreciate your thankfulness. The final judgement of individuals rests with the all-knowing, ...
baptism9/3/2013
  Q: In John 4:1-2 it says that the disciples of our Lord were baptizing people. What was the meaning of ...
  A: Hopefully, Al, my comments may help to clarify your very perceptiveTo understand the situation, also ...
Legalism8/3/2013
  Q: At what point does obeying the commandments of God out of a loving heart become legalistic? In other ...
  A: Nice to hear again from you, Josh. Trust you are OK in Tennessee. I recall that we discussed the ...
anxiety7/9/2013
  Q: Pax! Philipians 4:6 says: "Be nothing solicitous; but in every thing, by prayer and supplication, ...
  A: The original Greek is a verb imperative -- be not anxious or concerned. The word appears in the ...
God's wrath4/2/2013
  Q: In human beings, Anger is always a secondary emotion - by that i mean that first the person is ...
  A: Pete, your question is the tip of a mountain of underlying knowledge. To begin, we need to be aware ...
Miracles of Lord Jesus Christ.3/15/2013
  Q: http:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracles_of_Jesus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWBMQAqfIY ...
  A: Prashant, for you question. Your queries are challenging not only in themselves but also to me. The ...
Holy Bible Teachings.3/13/2013
  Q: 1. Do you agree on this point mentioned below ? The teachings of the Holy Bible - New Testament ...
  A: Nice to hear again from you, Prashant. You have chosen five important themes from the NT. To strive ...
Catholicism and Protestantism.2/18/2013
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism What are the ...
  A: I am surprised that Wikipedia relies in Catholicism on Richard McBrien, who does not speak with ...
The claim that Yahweh comes from Canaanite pagan god!1/13/2013
  Q: I recently got a message from some anonymous young(er) person who apparently decided to ask me a ...
  A: I am consulting a couple friends, who may be able to add relevant info on your question. Please ...
Cont. of "the women and the empty tomb12/6/2012
  Q: This is the last thing you said: "The early tradition mentions the apparition to Peter; John puts ...
  A: Given the fundamental and pivotal role of the resurrection of Jesus in the practice of Chritianity, ...
Early church father12/4/2012
  Q: "...there are sins too ruinous, and too serious to receive pardon. Such are murder, idolatry, fraud, ...
  A: Josh, Tertullian of Carthage [died about 230 AD] became a controversial writer after his conversion ...
Baptism9/20/2012
  Q: Could you look into this statment made by Jim Brown at Grace and Truth ministries and see if it is ...
  A: I consulted with a friend who taught Koine Greek in Graduate School for many years. He was unable ...
definition of marriage8/3/2012
  Q: Does the Bible specifically define marriage as a union between one man and one woman"? If so, where? ...
  A: I am not sure, Jo, what you are precisely seeking. If I miss what you seek, please write again. I ...
Justice7/8/2012
  Q: From a practical perspective, it seems clear that not everyone gets the same chance to hear and ...
  A: Richard, for your perceptive question. The key scripture passage is 1 Tim 2:4 -- God desires the ...
Acts 217/2/2012
  Q: restating qeustion, was not sure if it went through. Thank you so much. Acts 21:20-25 why did paul ...
  A: This is the first time that I got your question, Josh. Nice to hear from you again. No "official" ...
prayer in gethsemene6/26/2012
  Q: Why Jesus prayed to father to remove the cup in the garden of gethsemene , when his death and ...
  A: The prayer, agony [Luke], of Jesus in the garden shows his humanity. Jesus expresses a humanly ...
walk with christ5/24/2012
  Q: If christ paid it all and once you are a born again christian and have been justified, are being ...
  A: Nice to hear from you, Josh. We both agree that Jesus is our Savior [a gift from God] and that the ...
Greek4/4/2012
  Q: Can you read koine Greek or NT in Greek? In other words read the Textus Receptus or Westcott hort?
  A: Josh, are you asking me if I can read the original NT? If so, the answer is yes. If you are asking ...
Chronological issue3/23/2012
  Q: Greetings, I was hoping that you could help me get through an issue that I am trying to ...
  A: Adam, the brief answer to your chronological concern is, as you indicated, that the gospel writers ...
Works beforehand2/27/2012
  Q: In Ephesians 2:10 it says ..for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in ...
  A: To understand a verse, it is always useful to search the context -- immediate [nearby verses] and ...
Yahweh1/29/2012
  Q: My desire is to know in depth the history of Yahweh. It all started by reading several translations ...
  A: I do not have readily available research material relating to your commendable topic. Nevertheless, ...
Apostasy12/9/2011
  Q: Good evening, Hope all is well. My name is Dan. I wanted to first thank you for your helpful ...
  A: I am not sure of what article to which you refer. Could you tell me? I need some time to think ...
sin11/15/2011
  Q: We all know even Christians are not perfect and have struggles. We also know that Sanctification ...
  A: Josh, please excuse my delay in responding -- some personal obligations, some computer problems. All ...
Hm.11/10/2011
  Q: For having a master's degree in english, didn't your profile somewhere just recently read: [... I am ...
  A: The intent of the wording "not a moral theologian" is to let people know that I do not answer ...
question10/31/2011
  Q: My question is which bible translation is the closet to the Greek that the new testament was written ...
  A: For a literal translation, I would recommend: Ignatius Bible [RSV] second edition, [Ignatius Press]. ...
God follow up number 29/17/2011
  Q: I found God head in the Bible Colossians 2:9-10 New King James Version (NKJV) 9 For in Him dwells ...
  A: You are correct that the Greek word translated sometimes as "Godhead" does appear in the NT. ...
Theology9/15/2011
  Q: Oh one more question, What does it mean to be a theologian? What is a scholar? And what do you call ...
  A: The usual meaning of: theologian -- a person with formal education [college degree; often graduate ...
God9/8/2011
  Q: I was wondering if it was wrong to preach that God himself died for our sins? John 1:1-14 1Tim 3:16 ...
  A: The doctrine of the Trinity [3 Persons in 1 God [divine nature] and that of the Incarnation [The ...
Sense of the Greek word "without sin" among Greek writers7/6/2011
  Q: My name is James. Adam Clarke claimed that the word "without sin" in John 8:7 is used in the sense ...
  A: I am not familiar with Clarke nor Kypke. However, understanding the word comes not from profane ...
Habbakuk 3:35/15/2011
  Q: Why is Teman mentioned n Habakkuk 3:3? Thanks, H.M ANSWER: Teman refers to the territory of Sinai, ...
  A: Whatever may be the modern boundaries, Paran is near Sinai [Num 10:11-12]. Hab 1:6 refers to the ...
Matthew 16:194/19/2011
  Q: What does this verse have to do with the believer; or how does he act upon it?
  A: Kalleen, please excuse my tardiness in responding -- this week has been most busy for me. The ...
Salvation and Eternal Life4/9/2011
  Q: What does the Bible say about salvation and eternal life for people who are not Christians but who ...
  A: The key biblical passage, 1 Tim 2:3-4, says that God wills all people to be saved and to come to a ...
about Jesus4/2/2011
  Q: I was speaking with a Muslim man a few days ago,and he was telling me that Jesus was not crucified. ...
  A: You ask a very lengthy reply. I will need some time to reply. I am not familiar with the Koran. I ...
Blasphemy of The Holy Spirit3/20/2011
  Q: I'm really worried that I may have committed this sin. To prevent myself from thinking blasphemous ...
  A: I am sorry to learn of your deep concern about forgiveness. From my previous answer about blasphemy ...
Genesis1/25/2011
  Q: who wrote Genesis and When?
  A: The book was written by a great number of people over a long period of time. Most scholars trace the ...
John12/21/2010
  Q: In (NIV) Malachi 3:1 the bible says “I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me”. ...
  A: Your question has been discussed by scholars for a long time. The quote in Mt and Luke 7:27 mentions ...
John the Baptist12/11/2010
  Q: In whom name did John the baptist, baptize in before Christ Jesus came?
  A: The baptism of John was not the baptism announced by Jesus in the name of the Trinity. The people ...
Answering Prayers10/21/2010
  Q: Refrence 1 John 3:22 & John 9:31 Does God answer prayers of sinners/unsaved?
  A: The short answer to your question is that God does answer the prayers of sinners. John 9:31 is the ...
Origin of Christ10/8/2010
  Q: I was asked to write a paper on slurs and slang, and decided to use th word Christian after being ...
  A: I usually do not do homework. The reference to Christians at Antioch appears somewhere in the book ...
White throne Judgment9/19/2010
  Q: Will the white throne judgment be in new Jerusalem? and in this event would we be able to ...
  A: The representation of the final [general] judgment in Rev 20:11ff does not explicitly tell us the ...
Teaching Literature of the Bible9/8/2010
  Q: I am an English instructor at a regional state university, and because of my background in the epic ...
  A: I am checking with a friend who might have a possible lead. If so, I'll amend my answer. I have no ...
Christian Scripture9/4/2010
  Q: What sacred texts are involved within Christianity, especially for the sub-traditions of Catholicism ...
  A: Maxine, a thorough answer to your inquiries would require a lenghty treatise, far beyond the scope ...
The book of Genesis8/18/2010
  Q: MOST OF MY STUDYING OF THE BIBLE HAS BEEN THE NEW TESTAMENT. I DO READ THE OLD TEST. IT JUST HASN'T ...
  A: Genesis is not a college text on the growth of the human family from the first man and the first ...
Y'shua and Y'khanyahu8/1/2010
  Q: Shalom Edward, Two important verses are the basis of myJeremiah 22:28 Is this man Koniyahu [KJV: ...
  A: Shalom! According to Jerimiah, Jeconiah was removed from the rule, the throne. That removal does ...
How to get Jesus Christ's attention Bible Study7/24/2010
  Q: I'm trying to work on a Bible Study on how to Get Jesus Christ's attention. I'm studying through ...
  A: A few passages that might help: Mt 8:1 and 5; 9:18; 15:21 Mk 1:40; 5:14 and 21 Lk 2:25; 5:12; 7:37; ...
forgiveness7/7/2010
  Q: Many years ago someone close to me did a truly evil thing to someone else close to me. (I don’t want ...
  A: I am sorry, Jo, that you have suffered from the wrongs of another. These thoughts I offer as helps ...
hebrew names4/19/2010
  Q: I know that my daughters name is not Hebrew in orgin but i would like to know how to spell it in the ...
  A: The name does not fit the usual sequence of Hebrew letters. I am not able to reproduce the Hebrew ...
Torn Veil3/8/2010
  Q: I have heard and read that since the Veil of the temple was torn we now have "access" to God. I have ...
  A: The renting of the veil indicates that henceforth that veil would not separate humanity from ...
Tithing3/5/2010
  Q: I am nearing a time in the future where I'd like to begin tithing 10% of my gross income to God. I ...
  A: Nice of you to think of God and good works. The biblical notion of a tithe goes back in written ...
tribes2/8/2010
  Q: Do you think that the Jews are Israel, or that somewhere there are still "hidden"the other tribes of ...
  A: The history of the Jewish people is the exhaustive work of many scholars. One respected work is ...
mother of my lord1/22/2010
  Q: Luke1:43 When Elizabeth said "the mother of my lord" was she refering to the God of the Old ...
  A: While "Lord" can have several meanings in the New Testament and Luke, the context here recommends ...
Job1/21/2010
  Q: I find in Job's trials he is comforted by his friends (1:11-13) and finally by his relatives (42:11) ...
  A: From an overall perspective of divine scripture [Old and New Testaments], the final answer to human ...
Num 18:101/15/2010
  Q: Num 18:10: "IN THE holy of holies thou dost eat it; every male doth eat it; holy it is to thee." YLT ...
  A: The Hebrew does have "Beth", the prefix for "in." However, "holy of holies" is a Hebrew superlative ...
ROmans 712/11/2009
  Q: My question regards the latter part of Romans 7, where Paul talks about struggling against his ...
  A: While some think Paul is speaking of himself, this would conflict with what he says in Phil 3:6 and ...
why did god manifest his love after thousands of years?11/7/2009
  Q: if god had such love 4 hs creation why did he not send his son in the v begining to be crucified? ...
  A: God did show His love for humanity from the start -- special gifts to Adam [and Eve]; after their ...
Sacrifice10/31/2009
  Q: Werre there foreigners or aliens among the Jews during OT/NT times who offered sacrifices to Yahweh? ...
  A: The one example that comes to mind concerns Naaman, the Syrian, cured at the time of Elisha. He ...
Krsna8/29/2009
  Q: 1. Can you give me the top three or so of the best Krsna pictures? 2. What are the steps to become ...
  A: I am not an expert on Krsna or world religions. In my first response, I spoke of attaining perfect ...
Eternal Happiness8/27/2009
  Q: 1. What is Eternal Happiness (Krsna Conscousness)? 2. How do emails all the expert in the category ...
  A: I am not familiar with Krsna, which does not appear in the Bible of Jewish-Christian tradition. ...
Jewish & Christian beliefs hmmm8/19/2009
  Q: You have degrees in Jewish and Christian doctrines. How is it that the Jewish faith does not believe ...
  A: The first followers of Jesus were Jews -- the 12 apostles, and the convert Paul. He preached to the ...
the twelve desciple after Judas8/18/2009
  Q: Under what or who's quideance was the twelve desciple elected after Judas took his life? Why stop at ...
  A: The account in Acts 1:15-26 speaks of Peter taking the lead to select a replacement for Judas. The ...
12 tribes8/16/2009
  Q: Why 12 tribes are never the same from Old to New Testimony? Someplace said the Levite is not ...
  A: You are correct in finding discrepancies about the names of tribes of Israel. Until the time of ...
white throne in revelation8/13/2009
  Q: I am having trouble explaining the Judgement seat in Revelation and the White throne in Revelation. ...
  A: Rev 20:11ff is a second presentation of the general judgment [see 20:4ff]. The image of the book of ...
about geneology8/12/2009
  Q: McClintock and Strong’s Cyclopædia (1882, Volume III, page 773, column 2 says: "In constructing ...
  A: The personal genealogies of the bible usually give the father and son, etc. However, some do ...
To whom does "we" refer?8/6/2009
  Q: My name is James. I would like to know who the persons are to whom Apostle John refers in 1Jn 1:4 ...
  A: I understand the "we" of 1 John chapter 1 as John associating himself with other guardians of ...
Genesis 267/17/2009
  Q: Could you tell me who God is talking to in genesis 26: "Let us make man in our image, after our ...
  A: The Son of God, who existed from all eternity, became man as Jesus --check John, chapter 1. However, ...
ADAM AND EVE7/9/2009
  Q: IF WE ARE ALL FROM ADAM AND EVE THERE HAD TO HAVE BEEN INCEST AND INNER BREEDING AT BEST.WHERE DO ...
  A: When the human race began, probably some hundered of thousands of years ago, the first descendants ...
Jesus7/7/2009
  Q: It would be great to know how a intelect like yourself will tell a person that Jesus is the only ...
  A: My human intellect allows me to believe that if I am to attain to the vision of God with its ...
lending $6/16/2009
  Q: In applying Luke6:34 for today,does this mean that if I lend money to someone I shouln't ask them to ...
  A: My computer was being repaired, so my reply is understanably tardy. I would not conclude that you ...
The Gospels6/6/2009
  Q: Do you agree with recent Biblical schorlarship that argues that Mark was the very first to be ...
  A: Many scholars hold that parts of Matthew and Luke show a dependence on Mark. Some hold that Matthew ...
the anoited one6/3/2009
  Q: Interesting. Perhaps you may answer the following question. Who is the anoited one in Genesis and ...
  A: The revelation of God progressed slowly before Jesus. Early authors did not necessarily have a ...
The book of Job and the language of Hebrew5/8/2009
  Q: Mr bode, I have a question. I don't know if this is actually a correct question(if this is really a ...
  A: I am afraid that I am of little help on your question about Job. The origin of the name of Job ...
Question4/17/2009
  Q: I had asked you earlier about same sex marriage and you provided me with very good information. I ...
  A: Tradition is clear on the immorality of homosexual acts for both sexes. That moral teaching does ...
Continuation and reply to Noah's sons4/6/2009
  Q: You mentioned Augustine of the 4th Century and our going to heaven. Where does it say man will go ...
  A: Augustine was playing on the words of those who wanted to see Genesis as teaching academic science. ...
Birth order of Noah's 3 sons4/5/2009
  Q: I was under the impression Japheth was the eldest, Ham in the middle, and Shem born about 2 yrs ...
  A: The data is complex to interpret. 5:32 lists the three sons -- S H J. 6:10 -- S H J. 7:6 -- ...
a question about The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible3/4/2009
  Q: Bode; I want to know what does exactly page 64 of The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the ...
  A: I have searched several research websites on the Concordance but was unable to find a reference to ...
book of Corinthians2/17/2009
  Q: I understand that there was a minority group within this church that withstood against paul.Paul on ...
  A: Scholars believe that the opponents of Paul in Corinth were Christians who had strayed from the ...
12 Tribes/ 12 Apostles2/13/2009
  Q: Were the 12 apostles direct descendents of the twelve tribes of Israel? Did each of them literally ...
  A: No evidence suggests that each of the Apostles came from a different Israelite tribe. By the time ...
Bible info2/1/2009
  Q: What verses of what chapters, of what books, of the bible, answers/ addresses, the question? When a ...
  A: I know of nothing in or about the bible that we are not supposed to tell people. On the contrary, ...
James1/29/2009
  Q: Would the name Jacob (Ya'aqov in Hebrew) be a better translation instead of James? I am having a ...
  A: Jacob, from the Hebrew that you mention, translates Greek Iakob, Latin Jacob. James translates Greek ...
Bible info1/25/2009
  Q: What verses, of what books of the bible, explains/sheds light on, the does/don’ts, for staying on ...
  A: To examine the "two ways", I would go first to the parallel in Lk 13:23-30. The concept also ...
Baptism and war in the Old Testament and the New Testament1/18/2009
  Q: I was wondering what the Old Testament and the New Testament says about baptism? And are there any ...
  A: What we refer to as [Christian] baptism does not appear in the Old Testament. However, looking back ...
Jesus12/10/2008
  Q: Jesus is from the tribe of Judea, but I note that Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist, cousin of ...
  A: While the tribal affiliation of Elizabeth is clear, her exact relationship to the mother of Jesus is ...
About King Solomon's ring11/28/2008
  Q: I read somewhere that King Solomon used to have a ring that was written something like "Everything ...
  A: The so-called ring of Solomon is not biblical. According to Wikipedia [internet encyclopedia]: ...
genesis10/30/2008
  Q: for catholics the tragic effect of the sin of the first couple is called acoepandoraacbox.ac?true or ...
  A: In my previous answer, I overlooked my typo. I'm sure you deciphered the final sentence: If you ...
Jews/Gentiles10/18/2008
  Q: What are some significant differences between Jews and Gentiles?
  A: The words in their basic, literal meaning refer to: Jews -- a religious/ethnic people who believed ...
Ard10/7/2008
  Q: Who, What, or Where was Ard. I know he was the tenth son of Benjamin, but what does the name mean ...
  A: A descendant of Benjamin, Ard was in Egypt [Gen 46:27] and was the ancestor of the Ardites [Num ...
Genesis 39/10/2008
  Q: In Genesis 3 how would you interpret the woman's thoughts in the Bible Verse?
  A: I am not sure, Michelle, what you are asking. However, I offer a few thoughts on the chapter. The ...
God command of killing8/25/2008
  Q: An Atheist asked me if your God Jesus is love and love us then why He command Saul to killed every ...
  A: The few and isolated instances of the "holy war" with its dedication of all spoils to the supreme ...
Gospel accounts don't follow chronology strictly8/10/2008
  Q: I'm looking for the best means to defend the way in which gospel writers weren't so strict in the ...
  A: I do not know of a non-canonical, contemporary writing that would illustrate the way in which the ...
family members in heaven7/22/2008
  Q: Hello and thankyou for taking my question - could you give me any verses in the bible that would ...
  A: but I do not know of verses that specifically address the relationship of the saved to their family ...
3 unclean spirits7/11/2008
  Q: In revelations it talks about three unclean spirits coming out of the mouth of the dragon, the beast ...
  A: Your questions concern verses that are somewhat mysterious, vague, and difficult to understand. The ...
bible6/24/2008
  Q: where in the Bible does it say sell all that you have and buy gold that is tried by the fire?
  A: Lois, I am not sure to which verse you refer. However, 1 Peter 1:7 speaks of gold tested by fire in ...
Legalism5/31/2008
  Q: I am trying to understand the status of divine laws such as the Ten Commandments and am faced with ...
  A: I appreciate your taking the time to send an extended message of your concern about following divine ...
finally the light is shinning !5/28/2008
  Q: Oh brethren how long, how long shall We waver between two opinions ? If Jesus Christ is the body of ...
  A: The body of Christ has been gathering [church] since the time immediately following the Resurrection ...
Did Jesus Sin?5/22/2008
  Q: John says that Jesus broke the sabbath (John 5:18). Paul says that Jesus never sinned (Hebrews ...
  A: Since Jesus is divine [John 1:1 and 20:28 especially], He did not sin -- God does not sin. So, we ...
3 days and nights11/29/2007
  Q: Since Jewish days began at sundown, Jesus died on Friday, was in the tomb on Saturday, and arose ...
  A: I agree with most exegetes who see the fulfillment of the "sign of Jonah" in the death and ...
seeing angels11/6/2007
  Q: Vague, I admit, but I remember a passage where Moses? or someone was possibly involved in a battle, ...
  A: I could not find a passage that matches your concern. The closest might be a battle in which Moses ...
revelation10/28/2007
  Q: I am currently attending a bible study on Revelation. According to our instructor the rapture ...
  A: In my opinion, the rapture is a questionable interpreatation by a few theogians. So, I am not a ...
Virginity10/4/2007
  Q: This is a serious question, I am not a prankster, I have never understood the viginity cloth of the ...
  A: The practice in question concerns a blood-stained garment or bedsheet to show that the hymen was ...
Suffering.9/30/2007
  Q: Bode, In the church bulletin it says that if we're faithful to God's teachings we will be rewarded ...
  A: Two relevant passages: Jesus said that we must take up our cross and follow him [Mt 15:24]. Paul ...
islam9/25/2007
  Q: I was told that Ishmael is the forefather of the arabs - would you be able to tell me where I can ...
  A: The bible does not connect the lineage of Ishamael very far. See 1 Chronicles 1:28, Gen 17:20, ...
King James Text9/5/2007
  Q: Is it true that the King James Bible does not ALWAYS in every verse translate from the recieved ...
  A: The King James Version [also known as the Authorized Version] is a revision of the Bishops Bible ...
Christianity8/23/2007
  Q: What are some changes Christianity underwent from its founding and why? Difference in ...
  A: You question is very vast. In short, challenges to the teaching and practices imparted by Jesus came ...
1 Cor 7:108/14/2007
  Q: I have a question about 1 Cor 7:10. In the Greek, a portion of that verse says in the Greek ...
  A: The Greek is a passive form. However, the usual interpretation of a passive of this verb is: to ...
nemehia 1:67/23/2007
  Q: In Nehemiah 1:6, Nehemiah prays and asks God to forgive the sins of himself AND the sins of his ...
  A: I understand the prayer as one in which Nehemiah views his people as the chosen people, who to a ...
Mary7/6/2007
  Q: About how old was Mary when she had Jesus? Any background on Mary?
  A: We have no specific information relating to the age of Mary. Many scholars on the basis of Jewish ...
gospel6/22/2007
  Q: Ed Of the four Gospel writers, John and Matthew were apostles and knew Jesus personally, and got ...
  A: Mark was a disciple of St. Peter; Luke, of St. Paul. Actually, each of the gospels contains material ...
agree or disagree on the following.....6/20/2007
  Q: Christ himself disowned his mother and his brothers when they heard the rumor that he was "crazy" ...
  A: To understand a teaching in the bible, one needs to refer to all the texts that relate to the ...
Chosen People5/25/2007
  Q: Why are Jewish people considered the Chosen People when the majority of those people do not accept ...
  A: To answer your question, one would have to understand the mind and plan of God in creating. Humans ...
Luke 16:95/8/2007
  Q: I know what the message of Luke's dishonest steward is saying, but what does v 9 mean? 'Make to ...
  A: The short meaning: make prudent [and honest] use of material possessions. After the parable ...
Salvation3/27/2007
  Q: Due to the fact that Jews do not believe in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, can Jews go to ...
  A: The short answer to your question is that God wants all persons to come to the knowledge of the ...
DIVORCE3/22/2007
  Q: How many times is divorce referred to in the Bible. If possible can you list them.
  A: I am sorry that I do not have a concordance to the bible in English. The texts are multitudinous. ...
easter week,and proceeding days3/20/2007
  Q: looking to tie the sequence of eventsin order,plz confirm jesus died on what day if it was good ...
  A: Since Jewish days began at sundown, Jesus died on Friday, was in the tomb on Saturday, and arose ...
Dead Sea Scrolls3/12/2007
  Q: I'm having a hard time actually understanding the impact of the Dead Sea Scrolls on the question of ...
  A: I just read an article concerning Ps 145:13, which in the DSS does have the phrase [already found in ...
Salvation3/2/2007
  Q: I am doing some research on Salvation. I know this is a really broad topic, but how do you feel ...
  A: The New Testament contains many passages that emphasize that Jesus Christ is the one and only savior ...
slavery2/1/2007
  Q: I have a statement about slavery and would like to know if it is correct: The bible clearly ...
  A: In regard to comments on my reply, I would add these thoughts: One needs to be careful in applying ...
raptured1/17/2007
  Q: Other than Elijah, who was raptured or caught up without dying in the bible?
  A: Until you, Dorothy, asked the question, I had thought that only Elijah was reported in the bible to ...
friend1/7/2007
  Q: i am having trouble dealling with my husbend death i hope you could help me is he in heaven now ...
  A: I am sorry, Margaret, to learn of the death of your husband and of your difficulty in dealing with ...
inheritance12/26/2006
  Q: 1. Where in the bible does it talk about inheritance from fathers to children? Specifically is it ...
  A: One of the most prevalent themes of the Old and New Testament is the need of repentance for sin and ...
Older scriptures12/24/2006
  Q: I expect the bible has been changed and altered in a number of different ways, and in a number of ...
  A: The original books of the bible, written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, spoke to the peoples of their ...
dieing with sins12/23/2006
  Q: is it possible to die with sins and still go to heaven? Some people do die without being forgivin ...
  A: Among the many facets of yourHeaven is a place of never-ending and pefect happiness, a gift not due ...
The parable of the salt12/12/2006
  Q: What is the meaning of Mk 9:50 what does the salt represent? What is the meaning of "Their Worm" in ...
  A: I understand verses 49 and 50 to be separate sayings based on the use of the word salt with verse 49 ...
resurrection12/8/2006
  Q: Does the bible say who raised Jesus from the dead? Was it God the father, Son or Holy Spirit? Thank ...
  A: The NT refers to the resurrection as Jesus' rising [active voice; for example, 1 Thes 4:14]or being ...
John Chap 612/3/2006
  Q: I would like to know about Jesus testimony on John Chapt 6 when he describes himself as "The Bread ...
  A: Pete, before I answer your question, I want to tell you that your thoughts on Siloam would make a ...
pool of siloam12/2/2006
  Q: During the last day of the feast of the tabernacles - the Jews were doing their whole water ritual. ...
  A: I think that your thought about the connection with Hezekiah and the seige would have been in the ...
Middle East Situation11/24/2006
  Q: I overheard an expert on a radio program saying that Iran has already stated it wants to destroy ...
  A: Often in moral dilemmas, more than two options exist. I am praying that we do not come to nuclear ...
Old Covenant11/11/2006
  Q: Do you happen to know if www.OldCovenant.com is really true ? Thanks.
  A: I spent some time on the website, of which I was not aware. While the site quotes the scriptures, it ...
lukes gospel10/28/2006
  Q: i am currently studying lukes gospel and want to know what are the main things these chapters 17&18 ...
  A: I am not sure, Josh, what you are seeking. A reading of the chapters shows that Luke is providing ...
Matt 1:610/20/2006
  Q: The Vulgate and the King James translate both references to David in Matt 1:6 as "David the king". ...
  A: I use the The Greek New Testament, published by the United Bible Societies and edited by an ...
Protestant vs. Catholic perspectives8/26/2006
  Q: How can Protestant churches say they believe the Bible literally most of the time (Jesus walking on ...
  A: Since I am not an adherent to Protestantism, I cannot reply in their name. However, I would guess ...
Galations8/12/2006
  Q: A couple ?'s: 1.) Why is the epistle to the Galatians of such permanent value? 2.) Can you give from ...
  A: All scripture has permanent value. Galatians is important since it talks, among other things, about ...
Authority/leaway given to deciples6/18/2006
  Q: Sometime before His assention to Heaven -- Jesus knowing the deciples were not devine -- gave them ...
  A: Joe, don't worry about spelling. Thanks for writing. I would not use the word "leaway." Rather, I ...
Jesus -Judaism - Christianity5/31/2006
  Q: What stories and events from the Gospels and other Christian Scriptures (New Testament) are ...
  A: Your question, Teresa, is so vast, I am at a loss to respond. Jesus lived in a Jewish milieu, which ...
Dealing With Skeptics3/29/2006
  Q: Bode, hello and I hope you are doing fine. I am a Catholic Christian who is having trouble right at ...
  A: The attacks on the truthfulness of the Catholic faith have been going on since shortly after the ...
Matthew.19:9 and divorce1/19/2006
  Q: my question has to do with Matt.19:9 and Jesus' statement "I tell you that anyone who puts away his ...
  A: I do not agree with the interpretation that you mention. It is not based on an analysis of the ...
Resurrected body of Jesus1/18/2006
  Q: Praise the Lord!! My question(s) is simple in approach but has been quite complex to answer ...
  A: Ron, simple question, tough to answer in detail. I went the Catechism of the Catholic Church. You ...
Why did God choose the jews?11/17/2005
  Q: Why did God choose Jesus to be of Jewish descent? Why couldn't Jesus have been of Japanese descent ...
  A: In theory, God could have chosen any ethnic group or even none at all. However, He did decide that ...
Population Estimates10/18/2005
  Q: Do you know where I can find population estimates for various points in time in the Old Testament? ...
  A: Rich, I am sorry that I do not know of reliable estimates of populations in ancient Israel. Joachim ...
inheritance10/13/2004
  Q: Edward, When the New Testament talks about the believer's "inheritance", do you think the ...
  A: Nice question, Steven. Heaven,the reward or inheritance, is the unending and perfect happiness ...
joseph9/16/2004
  Q: I'm writing a story about Joseph and his coloured coat and need answers to the following questions ...
  A: Since the information does not appear in the bible, no way exists to determine the specific data ...
sin9/6/2004
  Q: Ok God made Adam and Eve. They messed up in the garden of eden, and because of this we are all ...
  A: Nice of you to try helping your friend. There is a great difference between personal sin [moral ...
Old Tetsament symbols of Christ8/18/2004
  Q: I am a Christian, and I am interested in ways in which the portraits of Christ in the four gospels ...
  A: You propose an interesting question, Joe. Patristic writers long ago used the saying: The New ...
Exodus 15:3 ... God a man? Seven spirits?6/15/2004
  Q: My question concerns Exodus 15:3. If a person holds to a literal method of biblical interpretation, ...
  A: As a library, the bible contains many styles of writing, not all of which are intended to be ...
Greek and Hebrew literal meanings6/15/2004
  Q: I recently saw a documentary about Christian attitudes towards homosexuality that got me wondering ...
  A: The Hebrew uses no special words; the meaning is quite clear concerning a man lying with a man as if ...
relationships5/30/2004
  Q: We all know that God forbids homosexual acts but loves homosexual persons. If a homosexual couple in ...
  A: The bible explicitly condemns homosexual acts. It also condemnds sins of intention. I do not think ...

All Questions in This Category

Bible Studies

Edward Bode

Top Expert on this page