Bible Studies/Questions Answered by Expert Jim Miller

SubjectDate Asked
Mental health medicine3/4/2017
  Q: I have been struggling with understanding the Greek word Pharmakeia (Strongs 5331) as found in the ...
  A: Short answer, pharmakeia means use of herbal and chemical preparations, usually taken by mouth, but ...
1 Enoch 19:22/24/2017
  Q: Greetings, I am wondering if you have any knowledge in regards to the text sources we have available ...
  A: I found one other that says they will become judges (or judged). "Sirens" is an emendation. Sirens ...
Song of Songs3/20/2016
  Q: I have been looking at this book with an interest in its poetry. Songs 1,v7 in the New English ...
  A: Most translations have the speaker "wrapped", presumably in a cloak or shawl. The term is based on ...
Christmas Celebration.10/30/2015
  Q: Christmas Day is celebrated for the birth of Lord Jesus Christ. Will you be against lighting Fire ...
  A: I have a few problems with this question. It is not a Bible question, the topic of my category and ...
Who were the wives of Cain and Seth?5/19/2015
  Q: I have recently taken up to reading the Bible and I find it interesting. Who were the wives of Cain ...
  A: Through the first 11 chapters of Genesis we have several genealogies. However, usually only one (or ...
Love your enemies psalm.2/18/2015
  Q: In the Holy Bible - Matthew - 5:43, Love your enemies, Forgive your enemies I have the following ...
  A: This is not so much a question for a Bible expert as it is for a pastor. To answer the second ...
The seventy weeks of Daniel9/1/2014
  Q: I have a question about the seventy weeks of Daniel (9:24-27). I took this passage from Collins ...
  A: First, if you get involved in archaeology, you will find there are no abnormally long building (or ...
Nephilim?5/27/2014
  Q: What do you make of the story of the Nephilim, or sons? of God in Genesis? Sounds like Ancient ...
  A: There is no simple answer to your question. All we have is guesses. The Nephilim are ...
Birth date of Lord Jesus Christ.5/25/2014
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus We are in the 21st century current year being 2014. As ...
  A: Perhaps your grasp of the English language is not sufficient. The claim which you wrote places the ...
King James Vesion of the Bible12/14/2013
  Q: What is the difference in the Authorized King James version and the King James version of the Bible? ...
  A: "King James Version" is actually not the proper name of this version. Rather, it is the nick-name ...
animals3/28/2013
  Q: I would be glad if I can get the annswer on the followingDid Jesus protected animals? Kind regards ...
  A: Not directly. What you have is the assumption behind some of Jesus' comparisons that you take ...
Miracles of Lord Jesus Christ.3/15/2013
  Q: http:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracles_of_Jesus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWBMQAqfIY ...
  A: None of these. When Jesus sent his 12 disciples out to preach, they also healed the sick -- ...
Holy Bible Teachings.3/13/2013
  Q: 1. Do you agree on this point mentioned below ? The teachings of the Holy Bible - New Testament ...
  A: Sorry, but those are theological abstractions. The teachings of the New Testament are 1 "I ...
Methodism and Lord's prayer3/4/2013
  Q: I have a question regarding the additional part that the Methodists say "for thine ...
  A: The most commonly used version of the Lord's Prayer is in the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 6:9-13 ...
Catholicism and Protestantism.2/18/2013
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism What are the ...
  A: My area is Biblical Studies, not general theology or church history, so I will answer the Bible part ...
Apostle in India...2/13/2013
  Q: In the Acts of Thomas he is "claimed" to of received the lot to go to India and preach the Word. ...
  A: Short answer -- no one knows for certain. What we do know is that the earliest Christians in ...
Claim that Yahweh/Yeshua are gods copied from Canaanite belief.1/13/2013
  Q: A young man posed this question to me. "Now, care to challenge the fact that a Canaanite God was ...
  A: Yeshua is the Hebrew/Aramaic form of the name of Jesus. In Greek Jesus is indistinguishable ...
the canon10/16/2012
  Q: "From what I have read and of the experts I talked to there IS a big debate that I cant seem to get ...
  A: I am not sure whether you are interested in the New Testament canon -- which is the same for all ...
manuscripts10/12/2012
  Q: I understand a codex is a complete copy of the entire N.T. But what I dont understand is what a ...
  A: First point, the codex and the scroll. A codex is like modern books, multiple leaves bound on ...
codex siniaticus9/23/2012
  Q: 20 years ago i came to believe in christ through a book by Josh McDowell called "Evidence that ...
  A: When these sources say "New Testament manuscripts", I am sure they mean any fragment of a ...
sources of Bible studies7/3/2012
  Q: Could you tell me please (and of course you can...), what sources can I use in order to understand ...
  A: The Problem with the scholarly literature is that it is prone to the same thing as anything else ...
Yahweh1/27/2012
  Q: My desire is to know in depth the history of Yahweh. It all started by reading several translations ...
  A: You ask a very long, involved question, so I will only be able to touch on a few of your points. ...
Asking about the word "light"12/29/2011
  Q: English is not my native language. However, I am writing a song and am concerned about this ...
  A: In Matthew 5:14 Jesus said that we are "the light of the world." Yes, we can be described as ...
Anicent Religion9/13/2011
  Q: Question-1 Why was Noah saved,while rest of the population were destroyed from the flood or ...
  A: The people of the Flood were destroyed because their violence defiled the earth (Gen 6:11-13). Noah ...
KIlling of sinners in the OT9/11/2011
  Q: why, dose the ot talk about stoning people to death for there sins? isnt that un Christian?
  A: Would it be easier simply to make them fall dead at your feet (Acts 5:1-11)? There are various ...
about Jesus...4/2/2011
  Q: I was speaking with a Muslim man a few days ago,and he was telling me that Jesus was not crucified. ...
  A: First, I am not going to respond in detail to your far too extensive "question". Second, I ...
Angels3/14/2011
  Q: I'm looking for a Biblical verse that mentions the existence of Angels. Could you suggest a few that ...
  A: You ask a very broad question, and my answer must be incomplete due to time and space ...
resurrection2/27/2011
  Q: I am presenting the following verses and would like to know if based on them, is it safe to assume ...
  A: The question is whether we should read "breath" as literal in these texts. Is the "breath of ...
Thank you !1/6/2011
  Q: I'm sorry to bother you again. Your answer did help me clear out my confusion to some extent, I was ...
  A: The Trinity is not found in the Bible itself. It is an attempt to understand various New ...
about religion1/3/2011
  Q: I used to wonder about God, so I studied the bible and wondered who wrote it..because some of the ...
  A: I am not a fundamentalist. If you want entertainment value, there are fundamentalists on this ...
Faith12/9/2010
  Q: Are Healing faith and Saving faith are same or different type?
  A: You ask a very broad question. The same word is used for both, "pistis". There is no obvious ...
Hell Question10/27/2010
  Q: I recently read a book called "My Visit to Hell" by Paul Thigpen, which is based on Dante's ...
  A: I am not aware of the existence of the book, so I cannot comment on it. Dante's Inferno is based on ...
Answering Prayers10/21/2010
  Q: Refrence 1 John 3:22 & John 9:31 Does God answer prayers of sinners/unsaved?
  A: Begin with 1 John 1:8-10. Everyone is a sinner (except Jesus). Everyone needs to confess their sins ...
Evil Spirit9/20/2010
  Q: How could an evil spirit come from God as 1Samuel18:10 says?
  A: Short answer: God is ruler over all. That means that He is in control. Nothing good or bad ...
The Prophet Jonah8/7/2010
  Q: Where was Jonah vomitted out of the whale /fish (Jonah 2:10)? Was it on the banks of the ...
  A: As you know, the text of Jonah does not say. However, it is a very long voyage by sea from the ...
ark of the covenant7/12/2010
  Q: Is there any biblical support to place an ark of the covenant in a nondenominational church as ...
  A: No. The Ark of the Covenant last appears in 1 Kings 8 when it is moved into Solomon's Temple. It ...
Jesus7/12/2010
  Q: I have a few questions about the early life of Jesus that I have always wondered about. I'll just ...
  A: 1 Apparently only the Magi (their exact number is not given) could see the star. This means ...
jesus christ6/22/2010
  Q: Where were Jesus christ for the threedays between crusifixation and Resurruction?
  A: The Bible gives us only one direct piece of information. In John 20:17 Jesus states that he has not ...
Matthew 265/26/2010
  Q: Here in verse 15 theres a mention of a person named jeremy. Who is this? If he is ...
  A: First, the easy parts of your question. I assume that you are interested in Matthew 27:9-10. not ...
trinity11/23/2009
  Q: I would like to know if any of the early non-biblical christian writings indicate that they believed ...
  A: This is a bit out of my field, and I am not sure what you mean by "Trinity". The term was first ...
Book of Jasher10/5/2009
  Q: I'd like to thank you for earlier responses to my question re: Jasher. What exactly are your ...
  A: My primary area of scholarship is Bible. I have published in several international scholarly ...
Book of Jasher10/4/2009
  Q: I'm currently leading an adult Bible study on Abraham, and a friend of mine is pressuring me to use ...
  A: The Book of Jasher in the Bible is a lost history book. The Book of Jasher that your friend has ...
Plant of Renown9/26/2009
  Q: In the 34th chapter of Ezekiel , verse 29. The bible says; "And I will raise up for them a plant of ...
  A: The term is a participle for the verb "to plant", which means it can be translated as a noun or ...
new living translation bible9/25/2009
  Q: I used the new living translation bible, at the men's home for bible studies. My question is this ...
  A: The New Living Translation is a good translation. It leans toward Evangelical readings of the ...
the trinity9/19/2009
  Q: why was this trinity only clear after the death of Jesus.since he only spake of the father and ...
  A: Your question is a bit unclear. I assume you want to know what evidence the four Gospels give ...
Romans 1:18b7/28/2009
  Q: Please tell me what is meant in this cited verse? Max Lucado's translation of scripture said ...
  A: It is usually assumed that Lazarus died again -- from old age or as a martyr. The resurrection ...
Total of verses in Mark's gospel7/11/2009
  Q: What conclusion might be drawn from the fact that minus the questionable twelve verses of Mark ...
  A: First, you should know that results vary depending on which ancient manuscript you consult. For ...
propechy of the temple mount6/5/2009
  Q: what is the prophecy concerning the future of the temple mount
  A: I will assume that by "prophecy" you mean "prediction", and that you are interested in events ...
prostitution5/25/2009
  Q: Are prostitutes ever going to stop what their doing?
  A: "They're" (not "their") is the contraction for "they are." Which type of prostitute? The ...
Question4/16/2009
  Q: I have a question, to be clear, not from a legal perspective but your opinion and thoughts both ...
  A: It was brave of you to use yout initial. You don't ask for much, do you? Of course, by opening ...
The book of Job3/15/2009
  Q: Why did God feel like He needed to prove Himself to Satan? How could Job ask for forgiveness for his ...
  A: 1 There are many answers to this question, so I won't try to provide them. It is enough that God ...
Jesus between 12 and 3012/28/2008
  Q: What is the best argument in the Gospels (apart from Luke 2:51-52) that Jesus did not go away ...
  A: This sounds like a trick question. You probably want John 6:42. or maybe Luke 4:23 where Jesus ...
Bible/Christians11/13/2008
  Q: What are the of the verses, of what chapters., of what books, of the Bible; that explains and sheds ...
  A: You ask for too much. I could just tell you to read from Genesis to Revelation. But here is ...
scripture11/3/2008
  Q: Jim, Can you tell me your interpretation on Matthew Chapter 7 when Jesus said "don't throw your ...
  A: Matthew 7:1-5 is about not judging, in rather strong terms. These verses might be interpreted that ...
Egypt history on Exodus10/14/2008
  Q: Where can I find the history of the mass Exodus in the Egyptian history or has it been deleted due ...
  A: The history of the Exodus, of course, is found in the Bible, mostly in the book of Exodus. As far ...
Sojourn9/6/2008
  Q: What's the definition of the word sojourn/sojourner and what's its significance at the turn of the ...
  A: A sojourner is a resident alien -- someone who lives in a place where he or she is not a citizen. ...
Throne and Lamb8/21/2008
  Q: according to Bible Who is sit on the Throne in Revelation 4:10 and who is the lamb in Revelation 5:6 ...
  A: Who sits on the throne? The "Lord God Almighty" Who is the Lamb? "The Lion of the Tribe of Judah, ...
Jesus Contemporary8/7/2008
  Q: Are their any historical or legendary figures who would have existed at the same time as Jesus ...
  A: During the 5th century BC there were potentially several major figures living at the same time ...
I AmThat I Am4/30/2008
  Q: I would appreciate very much if you please inform me wheter the Hebrew words "Eheyeh Asher Eheyeh" ...
  A: Ehyeh is the 1st person singular imperfect form of the verb hayah. The imperfect is usually ...
origin of islamic suffering4/1/2008
  Q: where does the origin of islamic suffering come from
  A: This is well outside of my field (which is Biblical studies), but I can tell you this. The first ...
Virginity10/4/2007
  Q: This is a serious question, I am not a prankster, I have never understood the viginity cloth of the ...
  A: Your understanding is the standard understanding of this verse. One detail -- the Hebrew does not ...
greek translations10/4/2007
  Q: I appreciate you taking the time to answer this question. My question is about the original greek ...
  A: Here are the basic terms. Pistis (noun) and pisteuo (verb) have the basic meaning of "trust", ...
bible quote9/25/2007
  Q: I recently saw a movie where there were several references to a quote from the Latin Bible. I ...
  A: First, you should know that the word "genesis" is not Latin, it's Greek. In the Vulgate (and ...
Christianity8/23/2007
  Q: What are some changes Christianity underwent from its founding and why? Difference in ...
  A: You realize that this is not a Biblical question, although the New Testament is part of your ...
nehemiah 1;67/23/2007
  Q: In Nehemiah 1:6, Nehemiah prays and asks God to forgive the sins of himself AND the sins of his ...
  A: First, most of your question is a theological one, not a Biblical one. I can tell you what ...
Gog and magog battle and armagedon7/16/2007
  Q: Is gog and magog and armagedon the same battles or are they different in time and events?
  A: I assume you are interested in these events within the book of Revelation. Within Revelation ...
Apocrypha6/24/2007
  Q: How can I, as a born-again believer in Christ, convice a Catholic that the Apocrypha books are not ...
  A: There are a few problems with your question. First, the Bible does not hold the same place of ...
Joseph and his coat3/29/2007
  Q: I am about to perform the musical joseph with my class at school, but i would like them to study the ...
  A: The key phrase is "ketonet passim." "Ketonet" is cloak or tunic. "Passim" is unknown. "Coat ...
Dead Sea Scrolls3/12/2007
  Q: I'm having a hard time actually understanding the impact of the Dead Sea Scrolls on the question of ...
  A: I am not sure of your level of expertise, so I will begin with the basics. The Masoretic ...
Early Christians disagree in NT2/17/2007
  Q: Jim, I recall reading in the NT that several of the apostles disagreed on some issues. I can't ...
  A: There are a few controversies among the apostles in the New Testament. The two most important ...
Gnosticism1/14/2007
  Q: I am interested in learning more about Gnosticism but donít know where to start. I now almost ...
  A: Gnosticism is a broad term used by early (orthodox) Christians for certain heretical groups. ...
New Testament times1/10/2007
  Q: What can you tell me about the social stratification of the New Testament Times? Thanks very much!
  A: This is a bit beyond my area of expertise, but the question is also very broad an vague. So, ...
prostitution12/24/2006
  Q: In the old testament some prostitutes and concubines where mentioned. Some had important roles in ...
  A: Prostitutes were despised then as well. That was the point. Proverbs 23:26-28 and 29:3 advise ...
Hebrew Meaning12/21/2006
  Q: In Isaiah 40:22, "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like ...
  A: The word is chug (the "ch" pronounced like in loch or Bach). The cognate verb means "to draw a ...
Middle East Situation11/24/2006
  Q: I overheard an expert on a radio program saying that Iran has already stated it wants to destroy ...
  A: Old Testament law supports a "first strike" action only against pagan nations -- idolators. This ...
Old Covenant11/11/2006
  Q: Do you happen to know if www.OldCovenant.com is really true ? Thanks.
  A: Not a very intelligent site. Let's start with an important detail on the Divorce section. In ...
Biblical Canon/Criticism10/25/2006
  Q: I have recently begun looking at textual and literary criticism. I am interested in studying the ...
  A: On Canon formation I recommend you check out either The Cambridge History of the Bible, vol 1, ...
Bible9/15/2006
  Q: Why the Bible is the Word of God in the words of men?
  A: You need to be more specific -- Jewish, Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Anabaptist, other? There ...
Protestant vs. Catholic perspectives8/26/2006
  Q: Protestant vs. Catholic perspectives How can Protestant churches say they believe the Bible ...
  A: As an act of charity I will assume that this question is asked by someone who really wants to know ...
church7/10/2006
  Q: 1 Timothy 3:15 "But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in ...
  A: The more natural reading is that the church is the pillar and ground, because "God" is genetive to ...
Ezekial 28:13- in the King...4/18/2006
  Q: Ezekial 28:13- in the King James version the last sentence of the verse says: "the workmanship of ...
  A: Why the confusion? Short answer: the text is difficult, and (in the mind of most scholars) has a ...
Book of Jude3/2/2006
  Q: Jim: I have always been curious about the source that Jude quotes when he talks about Michael the ...
  A: The source for this bit in Jude has not survived. Clement of Alexandria and Origen attribute it to ...
joseph9/16/2004
  Q: I'm writing a story about Joseph and his coloured coat and need answers to the following questions ...
  A: You are correct. The Bible (our only source on these matters) does not answer your questions. We ...

All Questions in This Category

Bible Studies

Jim Miller

Top Expert on this page