Bicycle Repair/Old Raleigh bottom bracket

Question
Hi

Is there a source to get a bottom bracket for a '70s Raleigh Grand Prix, with cotter crank. I think mine is worn out from all those years and miles, though I have just repainted it and replaced a lot of it for the second time. The chain ring seems to have a lot of whip in it and hits the front casette unless its perfectly centered as I ride. Local bike shop says that part is not around anywhere. The threaded retainer on the outside looks like it would be hard to remove. The local guy said if he could get that off maybe he could shim it some way inside.

Thanks a million

Pat King

Answer
I am not aware of any source for new cottered-crank bottom brackets. Your best bet would be a shop featuring used/vintage equipment. Even then, the state of those parts is bound to be questionable.  

If you really want to keep riding the bike ( a true classic), then I would suggest swapping out the cottered-crank and  BB for a more up to date cotter-less, square-taper crank and BB unit.

Bicycle Repair

James Novak