Bicycle Repair/rear deraileur

Question
I got a Schwinn mountain bike with no rear derailleur, it is mounted below the axle. What do I need to look for when buying a new one

Answer
 The most critical aspect is to determine the make and model of your rear shifter mechanism mounted on the right-side handlebar. From this, you can determine the number of speeds(cogs) as well as the resultant "pull ratio" which positions the rear derailleur accordingly.
  Next, you'll want to choose a rear derailleur that can  handle the gear range of your entire shift system-this is referred to as the derailleur's "take-up capacity". If you are running the common MTB configuration of a triple chain-ring crank, you'll best be served by choosing the largest capacity derailleur you can find. This can easily be verified by the distance between the two pulleys mounted on the derailler's cage-pick the one with the longest cage available and you'll be good to go.

Bicycle Repair

James Novak