Bicycle Repair/pedal crank will not engage

I have a twenty year old six speed auto gear bike , called autobike,  which the pedals just spin the crank but do not engage a gear. is this worth fixing,   I love the bike and would like to keep it running,  hope you can help.

The AutoBike shift system relied on centrifugally driven weights on the rear wheel spokes operating a cam/pressure-plate system to push the rear derailer through its range. Your best strategy is to ascertain the viability of each system separately. Check to see if the derailer can be manipulated manually-with the rear wheel safely off the ground, pedal the crank and try and push/pull the derailer across the gear cluster. You can verify the functionality of the counter-weight/driver system similarly; while pedaling/spinning the rear wheel, you should see the weights move out radially as the wheels speeds up. This radial movement should translate into a lateral force on the rear derailer, pushing it towards the smaller diameter, high speed cogs.
The entire system is a bit of a "Rube Goldberg" approach to shift system operation, however, so your best bet is patience.

Bicycle Repair

James Novak

I can answer most inquiries with respect to bicycle assembly, repair, tuning and maintenance. I am less than inclined to speak on such questions as "What kind of bike should I buy?", &/or "What is this bike worth?", etc. Any answers to these types of questions may correlate poorly to an acceptable "fact/sarcasm" ratio.

7 seasons of "Professional" bicycle service/repair, etc. 4 seasons as Instructor, Professional Bicycle Mechanic training college. n-1 seasons of riding, cracking, crushing, mutilating and breaking bikes of any & all varieties, and thus requiring intense and at-hand skills development, etc.

Certified Professional Bicycle Mechanic; Winterborne Bicycle Institute/Conestoga College

The Hub Bicycle Shop, Hespeler Winterborne Bicycle Institute