Bicycle Repair/1978 Shwinn - replacing rear axle

How do I get the gear sprocket off?  Is there a special wrench needed?  Thanks

You will indeed need a special tool,  known as a "freewheel removal tool". The problem is, you're unlikely to find this tool new. Shimano changed its freewheel spline profile around the mid 1980's.
There is a"destructive" method of removing a freewheel cluster (and I have outlined the procedure in a previous question similar to yours), or you could ask your local bike shop(s) if theyhave the older tool

Bicycle Repair

James Novak

I can answer most inquiries with respect to bicycle assembly, repair, tuning and maintenance. I am less than inclined to speak on such questions as "What kind of bike should I buy?", &/or "What is this bike worth?", etc. Any answers to these types of questions may correlate poorly to an acceptable "fact/sarcasm" ratio.

7 seasons of "Professional" bicycle service/repair, etc. 4 seasons as Instructor, Professional Bicycle Mechanic training college. n-1 seasons of riding, cracking, crushing, mutilating and breaking bikes of any & all varieties, and thus requiring intense and at-hand skills development, etc.

Certified Professional Bicycle Mechanic; Winterborne Bicycle Institute/Conestoga College

The Hub Bicycle Shop, Hespeler Winterborne Bicycle Institute