Bicycle Repair/Santana Noventa Tandem stem

I have a 1992 Santana Noventa tandem and need to shorten and raise the captain's stem.  What is the best solution and where can I get the parts to do this?

Muscling a tandem down to the bike shop for some comparative parts fitting is a daunting task, indeed, so if you're looking to raise the stack/shorten the reach of the Captain's cockpit, you'll need to get some preliminary measurements sorted. With regards to the stem itself, the most important indices are going to be length, from center to center, and rise, measured in degrees. It is also a good idea to measure your existing stem's "stack" height, and although this is not technically pertinent to your goal, it could impinge on your choices for replacement, as this is a consideration for headset bearing functionality/integrity.
  In order to raise/shorten the cockpit we would like to obviously find a suitable replacement stem with numbers lower in the first index and higher in the latter. Current bike fitting trends/fashion are certainly favouring shorter and shorter stems, but the situation with regards to high rise options seem to be diminishing. Options such as adjustable stems really only offer a concomitant adjustment of reach via the angle adjustment.
  Your quest may be further hindered by some preliminary Googling I conducted your bike, in that the Bikepedia entry for that model featured the 1.25" standard fork steerer/stem interface. If your model does in fact feature this outdated/obsolete standard, your options quickly turn to replacing the fork, headset, stem, etc, to the more common 1.125" fitment, as the range of most 1.25" standard parts are virtually nil.

Happy hunting!

Bicycle Repair

James Novak

I can answer most inquiries with respect to bicycle assembly, repair, tuning and maintenance. I am less than inclined to speak on such questions as "What kind of bike should I buy?", &/or "What is this bike worth?", etc. Any answers to these types of questions may correlate poorly to an acceptable "fact/sarcasm" ratio.

7 seasons of "Professional" bicycle service/repair, etc. 4 seasons as Instructor, Professional Bicycle Mechanic training college. n-1 seasons of riding, cracking, crushing, mutilating and breaking bikes of any & all varieties, and thus requiring intense and at-hand skills development, etc.

Certified Professional Bicycle Mechanic; Winterborne Bicycle Institute/Conestoga College

The Hub Bicycle Shop, Hespeler Winterborne Bicycle Institute