Bicycle Repair/Front derailer problem..?

Question
I had to change the cable going to the front derailer...
I'm not sure what happened
if I pull up on the back side of the derailer by hand,
the derailer extends and retracts like it is supposed to... However when I put the cable back on, it only wants to pull the derailer down and it does not move downward...  the cable  pulls downward and nothing moves..?.. Do you have any idea of what I did wrong...?

Thank you for your help Regards Rolfe

Answer
Front derailers come in two basic configurations, dictated by the direction in which the shifter cable approaches or "pulls" on the derailer actuator arm. Some derailers allow both configurations; depending on which direction the cable attaches to the anchor bolt. It sounds like you've got a "dual-pull" derailer, but that you've installed the cable incorrectly. Try reversing the direction of connection, paying attention to the cables trajectory-in some examples, the cable must first pass around a pulley-like structure on its way to the anchor bolt. Remember, regardless of the derailer pull direction, adding cable tension to the system should cause the derailer cage to move to the right (Higher) or larger chainrings, while releasing tension allows the derailer to return to the smaller chainrings.  

Bicycle Repair

James Novak