Bicycle Repair/Deore Crankset A Road Bike

Question
I wondered if it is possible to install a Shimano deore double crankset on a road bicycle (in order to get a lower gear). I am using a 1.37 x 24 bottom bracket on my road bike, do I have to change it to install a deore crank? which BB do I need?

Thanks in advance,

Answer
If you are attempting to convert an existing double chain ring crankset to one of a lower gear range, everything should be relatively compatible with respect to your existing bottom bracket bearing assembly.
Where you may run into issues are with respect to your chain length and front derailer capacity; that is, you will likely have to shorten your chain, in addition to lowering the overall height of the front derailer on the seat tube.
It's my understanding, however, that a Shimano Deore crankset is a mountain bike  triple chain ring system. While this will certainly provide a considerably lower/wider gear range, doing so may exceed all your remaining drive train components' capacities.
It's not a simple swap either way, but worth the effort if your goal is lower/ wider gearing.

Bicycle Repair

James Novak