Bicycle Repair/identiy year

Question
men\'s bike
men's bike  

women\'s bike
women's bike  
I found an old men's bicycle in the step mothers barn. It says Hiawatha with the Indian symbol on the front and u shaped handle bars. The front has two springs up by the handle bars for shock absorbers. I've attached a picture. Could you tell me anything about the bike? age- does it have value -is it pretty common? There is also a women's Hiawatha bike. Both are in very poor condition. Are they worth restoring? thanks toml

Answer
A cursory Google search revealed that the Hiawatha brand was sold out of the Gambles store from the 1930's to the 1970's. Further Googlery suggests that while your versions do not appear to be the most sought-after-that being the 1930's "Arrow" model- they do appear to be intact/complete (I love the added foam bolsters to the saddles, by the way.); this a significant consideration in any vintage/collectables market.  While I could not offer any sort of value/resale estimate, I will say that they do represent  a bygone era of Mid-Century American design/manufacturing.  

Bicycle Repair

James Novak