Bicycle Repair/tire

I have a vintage schwinn with 26 X 1 3/8 tires. Do these schwinn bikes take special tires, because of rim configuration? My problem is they are out of round causing the bike to ride like a bucking bronco.

Your bike has special tires, indeed, in that the 26"X1 3/8" tire size was unique to Schwinn's of a certain age. Your replacement tires should be the identical specification; in order to effectively cross reference compatibility, check the "ISO" sizing numbers: they will be embossed on the sidewall as a XX-YYY pattern. 26x1 3/8 Schwinn compatible tires will have numbers like 32-597, or 37-597. The first, 2-digit numbers refers to the tire's width, while the 3-digit number specifies the Bead Seat Diameter. You may be able to find wider tires to fit your frame and fork spacing, but they must conform to the 597 mm BSD.

Bicycle Repair

James Novak

I can answer most inquiries with respect to bicycle assembly, repair, tuning and maintenance. I am less than inclined to speak on such questions as "What kind of bike should I buy?", &/or "What is this bike worth?", etc. Any answers to these types of questions may correlate poorly to an acceptable "fact/sarcasm" ratio.

7 seasons of "Professional" bicycle service/repair, etc. 4 seasons as Instructor, Professional Bicycle Mechanic training college. n-1 seasons of riding, cracking, crushing, mutilating and breaking bikes of any & all varieties, and thus requiring intense and at-hand skills development, etc.

Certified Professional Bicycle Mechanic; Winterborne Bicycle Institute/Conestoga College

The Hub Bicycle Shop, Hespeler Winterborne Bicycle Institute