Bicycling/Phillips Bike

I just bought a Phillips bike.  It was turned into a 3 wheeler.  It has the markings of "Burris 3 Wheeler" on the back.  From California. Could you give me a little insite on this?  If there was some way of sending you a picture of this, let me know.  Thanks.

Wow! You are taking me back! I think I have only seen one of those and it was so many years ago. I have some connections that might be able to help us out so if you can send me a picture at bikesnrovers at gmail dot com.

If I recall correctly the Burris used the original three speed hub. If so, to get an idea of the date of the bike Strumey Archer stamped the year the hub was manufactured into the shell. It is usually opposite of the oil port and is only two digets. This, at least, will give you a time frame of how old the Phillips is.

Send me those pics and I will go from there!

Best regards,

Tad Hylkema

I can help you with bicycle fitting problems (proper fit, numb hands, etc.), Buying help (Which type of bike, brand, so forth), basic repair problems (Flat tires, poor shifting, noises, etc.), technique questions (How to climb better, how to ride in traffic...), and even basic training questions (first race, long tour, or just a weight loss program). Some repairs are better left to the experts, we used to call this category "home repair gone bad." However, many fixes are simple and can be done by most. I will simply tell you if you should try it or take it to a shop. I will even help you ask the right questions when you walk into a shop so you can feel more confident. If I don't know an answer I can find out and get back to you.

I have worked in bicycle shops or the bicycle industry since 1984. I started racing around that time but rode bicycles and did some touring before that. I have managed large shops in the upper Midwest, been invited to join a professional team as mechanic, which I turned down so I could open my own shop. I have built wheels for two US National Champions. I have also been a consultant to retailers and manager of a bicycle fitting system company here in the US. My greatest joy is helping people get into riding and be more confident about their riding and bicycle.

Various regional enthusiast publications.

Doesn't really apply but I do have a BA in English/History (Both very marketable - that is why I stayed in bicycles!) And had been working on my Master in Education before I thought better of that.