Bicycling/Brake disc replacement

Question
I have a Giant Yukon mountain bike with disc brakes. Is there any trick to replacing the disc pads? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Stuart,

Since I don't know which brake you have I am going to answer very generally... No, it is not hard and in a way easier than replacing traditional V-brake or caliper pads.

What I strongly suggest doing is finding the brake model's owner's manual online just to make sure that there aren't any little tricks like opening the valve on the lever end to relieve pressure. The pads themselves will slide right out and then right in. However, some brakes need no further adjusting and some will need to have pressure released since as the pads have worn they have recentered themselves in towards the disc.

And this is all said for hydraulic brakes. If you have cable actuated brakes then it is very straight forward... give the cable some slack if you have been pulling cable over time to decrease your brake lever travel and replace the pads.

If you do have hydraulic brakes it might be time to replace the fluid in the lines at the same time you replace the pads. The fluid gets compromised over time and even though it is such a small amount it will affect your brake's performance. Again checking with your owners manual will be a very good thing.

If you will send me the model of the brake and how long you have had them I will be glad to do the leg work and give you specifics of what has to be done. In the two sets of disc brakes I have owned I have only had to replace one set of pads and it was as easy as remove and replace.  I am glad you asked this question as this is a good winter project for me... replace pads and fluids on my bike.

Cheers,

Tad  

Bicycling

Tad Hylkema