Bicycling/bottom bracket removal

Question
I been having trouble loosening my bottom bracket using my Park tool BBT-22. It ends up slipping off every time I apply pressure to turn the screw. A friend suggested putting a longer bottom bracket bolt through it so that it doesn't slip off. Ingenious I thought! Except I cannot find a blot long enough to fit through the bottom bracket tool into the BB.

Do you know where I can get a longer bolt or maybe the specifications of the bolt threading and size?  I haven't had any luck at hardware stores.
Thanks for your time!
Dan

Answer
Hi Dan,

At first I was perplexed by your question. I couldn't understand the problem until I consulted my mechanic friend.

I think the answer is simple, as he said: "Use a QR."

Well, he is a bit laconic.

But, if you run a quick release through the tool and the bottom bracket I think you will find it holds the tool snug to the races and you will be able to back them out using a properly tightened adjustable wrench.

Remember the right hand side is reverse threaded. So instead of "righty tighty" "lefty loosey" it is righty loosey. (Unless you have an old French bike, but no one has one of those any more!)

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Best,

Tad

Bicycling

Tad Hylkema