Bicycling/Bike fit and wheel size.

Question
Hi,  I am trying to get back into riding bikes and I am going to get a mountain bike. I am trying to decide between 26"and 29" wheels.  I know that it is a matter of personal preference and that going to a bike shop and testing the bikes will help me determine more than anything. So here's my issue. I have slight scoliosis and was born with a club foot. While my club foot has been corrected unfourtunately the leg that had the club foot has almost no muscle whatsoever. The leg actually looks like I have about half the calf muscle that the other leg has. I'm not going to let this stop me from riding but I do need a bike that is going to be easier to pedal. One that I can get up speed easier with less effort.  Maybe you can help thanks

Answer
Hey Cory!

Well the 6'er v. 9'er is very fresh for me. I just went to riding a 29'er last year. My impressions are that the 29'er does cruise over stuff much more effectively, the speed downhill seems greater (unverified), and the grip is better since you have a bigger footprint on the ground. The plus side of the 26'er is that it accelerates better, it climbs better - both accountable to less rotating mass, and, I think, it handles crisper. I feel I can throw around a 6'er better, but I do like the increased speed that the 9'er has.

In your case I would think a 26'er might be a better choice because of the less effort it takes to get up to speed and up hills. There are 650b bikes out there and I have heard that they are the best of both worlds, I have not tried one long enough to say for sure, so I will stick with the 26'er recommendation.

A couple of other things you may want to consider. A pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals increases your efficiency when pedaling. I would think that it might make a huge difference with your foot and weaker leg.

And, in time, you may want to look at the lightest wheelset that you can afford. Again, rotating mass. If you can keep that as low as possible I think you will have more fun cycling.

If I can answer any more questions for you please ask!

Oh, make sure the bike fits you properly! I think in your case that is essential, not just how you look on the bike but someone that will take measurements. Find a good shop that will work with you on that.

Cheers!

Tad

Bicycling

Tad Hylkema